today's Pick
Ebola kills 56 in two days, says WHO
Publish Date: Aug 13, 2014
Ebola kills 56 in two days, says WHO
An agent of the national public health institute controls the temperature of a worker at the airport, in Abidjan on August 12, 2014, as part of protective measures against the Ebola virus. PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

GENEVA - The Ebola virus killed 56 people in just two days, bringing the global death toll to 1,069, the World Health Organization said Wednesday.

The death toll, which passed the 1,000-mark at the weekend, soared higher between August 10 and 11.

The number of confirmed infections jumped by 128 over the two days, bringing the total number of cases to 1,975 people, the UN's health agency said.

New cases and deaths had been registered in all four west African countries so far hit by the worst Ebola epidemic seen since the deadly virus was discovered four decades ago.

Liberia saw 71 new cases and 32 new deaths, while Sierra Leone recorded 53 new cases and 19 more deaths, according to fresh WHO data.

Guinea, where the outbreak began at the beginning of the year, counted four new cases and four new deaths.

Nigeria, meanwhile, counted one more death, bringing the total there to three, but WHO lowered the total number of suspected, probable and confirmed cases in the country to 12 from 13.

AFP

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
ICC releases four DR Congo war crimes suspect aides
The International Criminal Court on Tuesday ordered the interim release of four suspects in former Congolese vice president Jean-Pierre Bemba's case to avoid their pre-trial detention becoming "disproportionate"....
Museveni calls for political mobilization against Ebola
PRESIDENT Yoweri Museveni has expressed sadness at the loss of lives in West Africa due to the Ebola outbreak and said that the people of Uganda stand with their brothers and sisters...
Minister orders musician’s arrest over x-rated video
IRRITATED by the recently released X-rated music video of little known city singer Panadol Extra, Fr. Simon Lokodo, the Minister of Ethics and Integrity, ordered the arrest of the singer...
THE highly contagious Ebola virus, which has killed more than 4,500 people in west Africa since December and has fueled global alarm...
Ugandan rebels spread fear with DR Congo massacres
You sent soldiers to wipe us out, but here we are." That was the chilling message from Ugandan rebels during the latest massacre in the northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, according to one survivor...
Mbabazi steps aside as NRM secretary general
National Resistance Secretary General, Amama Mbabazi, has taken leave of absence from office....
Do Ugandan tycoons prepare their children to take over their business empires?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter