World
Second British Foreign Office minister quits
Publish Date: Aug 11, 2014
Second British Foreign Office minister quits
Simmonds said he was "exceptionally proud" of the governments achievements but said he wanted to spend more time with his family.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

LONDON - Britain's Africa minister Mark Simmonds resigned on Monday, a spokesman for the prime minister's Downing Street office said, becoming the second Foreign Office minister to quit in a week.

The spokesman insisted that Simmonds' decision was unrelated to that of Sayeeda Warsi, who quit last Tuesday in protest at the government's failure to take a tougher line against Israel over its assault on Gaza.

He said Simmonds had agreed to leave "some weeks ago" but the announcement was delayed until the minister had chaired a United Nations Security Council debate on the Democratic Republic of Congo on Thursday.

In his resignation letter, Simmonds said he was "exceptionally proud" of the government's achievements but said he wanted to spend more time with his family.

He intends to step down next year as a member of parliament for Boston and Skegness in Lincolnshire, eastern England, a seat he has held since 2001.

He was appointed to the Foreign Office in September 2012, and had responsibility for Africa, Britain's overseas territories, the Caribbean, as well as climate change and international energy.

Warsi, Britain's first Muslim cabinet member who also had responsibility for faith and communities, resigned over what she said was Britain's "morally indefensible" policy on Gaza.

AFP

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
S.Africa vows crackdown against xenophobic attacks
SOUTH Africa on Sunday vowed to hunt down those behind a wave of attacks targeting immigrants, saying 307 people had been arrested over violence that has left at least seven people dead...
700 feared dead in migrant shipwreck
SEVEN hundred people are feared dead after a fishing boat packed with migrants trying to reach Europe capsized off Libya...
Zuma urges foreigners to stay amid violence
PRESIDENT Jacob Zuma pleaded with foreigners to stay in South Africa as he cancelled a state visit to Indonesia to deal with a wave of deadly xenophobic violence...
South Africa attacks spark anger abroad
COUNTRIES neighbouring South Africa prepared to evacuate their citizens from South Africa as the UN raised the alarm over deadly xenophobic attacks...
Ebola-hit countries call for $8 bn aid plan
THE three West African countries hit hardest by the Ebola epidemic called for an $8 billion "Marshall Plan" to help rebuild their economies and boost prevention efforts...
UN envoys hear graphic accounts of Syria chemical attacks
The UN Security Council on Thursday heard graphic first-hand accounts from Syrian doctors of deadly chemical weapons attacks in their country, vowing it will take action against those responsible....
Should African countries expel South Africans?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter