National
Elderly, pregnant women to register for IDs at home
Publish Date: Aug 11, 2014
Elderly, pregnant women to register for IDs at home
Minister of Internal Affairs Gen Aronda Nyakairima (left) being congratulated Electoral Commission chairperson Dr. Badru Kiggundu (right) after successfully finishing the parish enrollment exercise at Independence Ground Kololo on August 9, 2014. Photo/Tony Rujuta.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Innocent Anguyo and Steven Candia                         

Pregnant women and the elderly considered too frail to trek to the enrollment centres for the national identity card (ID) will be registered from their homes, according to Internal Affairs minister Gen. Aronda Nyakairima
.

Aronda made the announcement on Saturday at a public ceremony at the Kololo Independence Grounds where he also announced that the ID registration process will be shifting from mass enrollment to continuous registration, effectively bringing the registration exercise at the parish levels throughout the country to an end today Monday.

With continuous registration the exercise will now be carried out at Sub County levels throughout the country and that is where anyone who has not registered to date should now register.

Speaking at the function attended by top government officials, Aronda said the elderly and women in advanced pregnancy who may have missed out on registration under the mass registration will be given special consideration, but added that they are yet to agree on the threshold of determining who an elderly person is.

“Perhaps 70 years onwards,” he said. Also to receive special consideration under the arrangement will be people with disabilities (PWDs) who may find it hard to access registration centres.

However, not all the elderly, PWDs and pregnant women will be registered at home because Aronda said beneficiaries would be selected by the sub county verification committees.

“These people will be carefully identified and the machines will be taken to their homes,” reiterated Aronda.

Speaking at the same function, Haji Abdul Nsubuga, the Project Manager of the National Information Security Strategy said 14.1m Ugandans had by Saturday registered at parish level, translating into a 77 percent success rate, leaving a balance of 3.9m unregistered Ugandans.

“We hope to register the remaining 3.9m people during the continuous registration exercise at the Sub Counties,” he said.

The six months continuous registration exercise will run from August 12 to February 27, 2014, she said. Government had projected to register 18m Ugandans aged 16 years and above for the national ID.

Betty Nansenja, the National ID deputy project manager gave a detailed account project, stressing that it will be run on a very strict schedule of time, given that cost implications and the time lines earlier agreed upon.

“We are now continuing with phase two of the exercise” she said adding that a committee had been set up to handle the naturalization exercise of some communities. “It is now in Kiryandongo and will move to Arua and Soroti and Amuria,” she said.

Government, she noted, will start issuance of the national IDs in September “This will be on a very small scale though mass issuance will be later but at Parish level,” Nansenja said.    

However, Aronda noted that though they were moving from the Parish to the Sub Counties, the transition will be in a gradual, maintaining a very lean presence at the parish levels.

The minister ordered the registration officials to exploit the ongoing school holiday to enroll students before they return for third term. Only, students aged over 16 will be registered.

IDs may be used for voting. Making account of the performance of mass enrollment across Uganda, Aronda said 36 districts had registered 80 percent success; 36 had achieved between 70 percent to 79 percent enrolment; 34 had registered between 50 percent and 69 percent of residents; and 11 had enrolled below 50 percent of their populace.

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Museveni launches construction of Soroti fruit factory
CONSTRUCTION of a multibillion fruit processing factory based in Soroti district has been launched by President Museveni with emphasis to grow more fruits...
Govt verifies questionable applicants for National IDs
THE ministry of internal affairs has deployed a team to carryout citizenship verification on questionable applicants for the National Identity cards...
Minister warns city councilors against frustrating projects
The Minister in charge of the Presidency, Frank Tumwebaze has warned city councilors against engaging in political disagreements that paralyse the city’s development projects....
NSSF: Jamwa
The hearing of the appeal in which former NSSF managing director David Chandi Jamwa is challenging his conviction and the sentence of 12 years imprisonment was on Thursday delayed until October 10....
Mother jailed for dumping her baby in toilet
Betty Naggujja will spend nearly two years behind bars after being convicted of dumping her newly-born child in a pit latrine....
World tourism numbers up 4.6 percent in first half: UN
International tourist numbers grew 4.6 percent in the first half of 2014, boosted by strong growth in the Americas, Asia and parts of Europe, the World Tourism Organisation said...
Should bride price be made optional?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter