National
Police dismisses reports of rebels in Kabale
Publish Date: Aug 06, 2014
Police dismisses reports of rebels in Kabale
Police spokesman Fred Enanga said preliminary investigations indicate that the incident at Little Ritz Hotel in Kabale was an ordinary and targeted crime
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Steven Candia

POLICE has said an incident in which unknown gunmen attacked a private hotel in Kabale, killing one person was a targeted crime, dismissing media reports of a rebel attack. The police also dismissed as alarmist reports that Kyegegwa police station was raided by 10 gunmen.

Police spokesman Fred Enanga on Wednesday said preliminary investigations indicate that the incident at Little Ritz Hotel in Kabale was an ordinary and targeted crime.

Information available, he said, strongly suggests that the attack on the hotel which left a receptionist at the hotel –Lawrence Twinomuhangi dead could have been carried out by disgruntled lovers.

He said it was clear that the attackers were targeting two women who had returned to the hotel at about 4:00am with their new lovers. The women, he said, earlier in the night gone partying with their new lovers and had just returned to the hotel before retiring to their rooms when the attack occurred.

“The information we are getting is that some people had been stalking these women for some time and that one of the stalkers had even threatened one of the women with violence,” Enanga said.

An unknown number of armed gunmen are said to have stormed the hotel and demanded that reception and demanded that the receptionist discloses the rooms the women were in but he declined, prompting them to shoot him, Enanga said.

The gunmen are then said to have moved to the corridors and started shooting sporadically.  Kigezi region police spokesperson Elly Maate said four suspects were being held in connection with the incident.

He declined to divulge their identities. 

“They are the ones who first walked into the hotel before the attackers so we arrested them to help us with investigations,” Maate said. 

“We will give you all the information at an appropriate time,” he said adding that the suspects were being interrogated.

Police, Enanga said, is also hunting for Mark Ayinebyona who allegedly at one time threatened one of the two women with violence.

On the alleged attack on Kyegegwa, Enanga dismissed them as false and alarmist. 

“I have spoken to the District Police Commander and there is nothing like that. Those reports are just alarmist and we are asking what the motive is,” he said.

Related stories

UN to slap sanctions on Ugandan rebels in DR Congo

230 Uganda rebels killed in DR Congo

Museveni hails Kabila for flashing out ADF rebels

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Uganda relies on EU satellite for aviation
Lawmakers on the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) have been told that Uganda, in the absence of functioning radar, is relying on a satellite owned by the European Union to ensure aviation safety at Entebbe Airport....
Govt told to use different interventions in PRDP
The Government has been advised to use different intervention approach to ensure that the lives of the people in northern Uganda improves as Peace, Recovery Development Plan (PRDP II) is coming to an end....
UPDF commander has case to answer - court
The Army’s top court has ruled that, Col. Hassan Kimbowa, formally the commander of UPDF Battle Group 11+ in Somalia should defend himself against charges of selling fuel meant for peace keeping operations in the horn of Africa nation....
Another Inter-Agency appeal for S. Sudanese refugees launched
The Ugandan government, UNHCR and other UN agencies have launched another Inter-Agency Appeal asking donor community to avail them with more than US$ 220m (about sh572b) to address the plight of South Sudan refugees living in in the country...
MPs’ absenteeism irks Oulanyah
Frustrated by the poor attendance of plenary by Members of Parliament, the Deputy Speaker Jacob Oulanyah made a directive that all committees should stop business until the house has completed passing the 2014/2015 budget....
Bakabulindi targets Namboole title now
Nakivubo Stadium and National Council of Sports (NCS) having acquired the land titles that give them ownership of the land where the facilities are seated, State Minister Charles Bakabulindi is left with only Mandela National Sports Complex Namboole to accomplish his mission...
Will early retirement solve Uganda’s unemployment problem?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter