World
S. Sudan rebel leader snubs new IGAD talks
Publish Date: Aug 06, 2014
S. Sudan rebel leader snubs new IGAD talks
Former South Sudan-turned rebel leader Riek Machar failed to show up for the Monday IGAD talks. (AFP/Getty Images
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Taddeo Bwambale

ADDIS ABABA - IGAD mediators have appealed to South Sudan’s former vice president, Riek Machar, to attend a new round of peace talks after he failed to turn up for talks in Addis Ababa on Monday.

The fifth session of negotiations was expected to resume on Monday, having been suspended six weeks ago when Machar’s team did not turn up.

“On 5 August 2014, the SPLM/A (In Opposition) failed to attend the peace process for South Sudan. The mediation renews its call to the SPLM/A (In Opposition) to honour its commitment to resolve the crisis,” IGAD said in a press statement on Tuesday.

Mediators said they expected Machar’s team to ‘immediately return to and fully participate in the multi-stakeholder negotiations’ which will continue on Wednesday.

“The mediation further calls on the people of South Sudan, IGAD Member States and international partners to urge the SPLM/A (In Opposition) to return to the ongoing peace talks without further delay,” IGAD said.

Key on the agenda will be the formation of a transitional national government and a commitment to end hostilities in the world’s newest nation, IGAD mediator disclosed in a statement.

The talks were initially scheduled to commence on July 30 but were rescheduled to August 4 to cater for holidays of Eid el-Fitr and National Martyr’s Day celebrations in Juba.

Several delegates were confirmed to have started arriving in Addis Ababa ahead of the highly anticipated talks, IGAD officials said.

The talks bring together delegations of the Government led by President Salva Kiir, the SPLM/A (in opposition) led by former Riek Machar, former SPLM detainees and leaders, political parties as well as civil society and faith-based organizations.
 


President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar signed a peace deal in May, which did not last. (AFP/Getty Images)


The new talks were expected to finalize the modalities for the implementation of the ceasefire agreement signed by Machar and Kiir on May 9.

Both leaders have since accused each other of violating the ceasefire agreement, after fighting erupted in parts of South Sudan moment after the truce.

The fighting in South Sudan that started in December has claimed over 1,500 lives and displaced thousands, leading to a humanitarian crisis.

In June, IGAD mediators suspended talks in Addis Ababa citing failure by Machar’s delegation to turn up for the multi-stakeholder talks.

Last month, Machar’s team arrived at Entebbe Airport purportedly to meet President Yoweri Museveni but returned home after they were not received by government officials.

Also related to this story


IGAD teams commence operations in South Sudan

IGAD pushes for South Sudan Protection Force

IGAD regional heads meet in South Africa

Warring South Sudan rivals sign peace deal


In full: deal to resolve S. Sudan crisis

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Prince William and wife Kate expecting second child
PRINCE William and his wife Kate's second child, who will be fourth in line to the British throne, is due in April, an official statement said...
Heavily armed gunmen freed some 300 inmates from a prison in eastern Congo on Saturday...
Ebola is
Aid agency Oxfam said Ebola could become the "definitive humanitarian disaster of our generation", as US President Barack Obama urged against "hysteria" in the face of the growing crisis....
Ebola death toll shoots past 4,500 mark
THE death toll in the world's worst-ever Ebola outbreak has shot past 4,500, killing at least half of the more than 9,000 people infected...
Berlusconi paid for sex,he didn
Italy's former prime minister Sivlio Berlusconi did have sex with an exotic dancer nicknamed "Ruby the Heart Stealer"...
Obama authorizes reservists for Ebola fight in W.Africa
President Barack Obama on Thursday authorized the Pentagon to send reservists to take part in a US mission to combat the Ebola epidemic in West Africa....
Do Ugandan tycoons prepare their children to take over their business empires?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter