World
N. Korea issues new bank notes to flush out cash
Publish Date: Aug 01, 2014
N. Korea issues new bank notes to flush out cash
A Chinese vendor displays what she claims are North Korean bank notes to tourists in Dandong, Liaoning Province
  • mail
  • img
newvision

SEOUL - North Korea has started issuing new bank notes in an apparent effort to flush out privately hoarded cash reserves, according to South Korea's National Intelligence Service (NIS).

In a briefing to a parliamentary committee, the NIS said the new notes were issued from July 30, Yonhap news agency reported Friday.

Old bank notes can be exchanged or used for an unspecified grace period after which they will cease to become legal tender, the NIS said.

"This is apparently aimed at compelling people to cough up their cash hoards," Lee Cheol-Woo, a lawmaker with the ruling Saenuri Party, told Yonhap after Thursday's briefing.

North Korea has a thriving black market which has, to some extent, supplanted the state goods distribution system.

The widespread use of other currencies, especially the Chinese yuan, has also given rise to an unofficial currency exchange system.

The issuance of the new notes did not appear to be accompanied by any actual currency reform like the disastrous revaluation attempted in 2009.

Implemented during a backlash against emerging private markets, the devaluation wiped out personal savings and triggered rare public protests.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
S.Africa vows crackdown against xenophobic attacks
SOUTH Africa on Sunday vowed to hunt down those behind a wave of attacks targeting immigrants, saying 307 people had been arrested over violence that has left at least seven people dead...
700 feared dead in migrant shipwreck
SEVEN hundred people are feared dead after a fishing boat packed with migrants trying to reach Europe capsized off Libya...
Zuma urges foreigners to stay amid violence
PRESIDENT Jacob Zuma pleaded with foreigners to stay in South Africa as he cancelled a state visit to Indonesia to deal with a wave of deadly xenophobic violence...
South Africa attacks spark anger abroad
COUNTRIES neighbouring South Africa prepared to evacuate their citizens from South Africa as the UN raised the alarm over deadly xenophobic attacks...
Ebola-hit countries call for $8 bn aid plan
THE three West African countries hit hardest by the Ebola epidemic called for an $8 billion "Marshall Plan" to help rebuild their economies and boost prevention efforts...
UN envoys hear graphic accounts of Syria chemical attacks
The UN Security Council on Thursday heard graphic first-hand accounts from Syrian doctors of deadly chemical weapons attacks in their country, vowing it will take action against those responsible....
Should African countries expel South Africans?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter