World
Israeli strikes kill 32 across Gaza
Publish Date: Jul 30, 2014
Israeli strikes kill 32 across Gaza
Heavy smoke billows following an Israeli military strike in Gaza City. The Israeli offensive, which began on July 8 to end Hamas rocket attacks on the Jewish state, has killed more than 1,100 Palestinians, mostly civilians according to the United Nations, while 56 lives have been lost on the Israeli side, all but three of them soldiers. AFP Photo
  • mail
  • img
newvision

ISRAELI bombardments in the early hours of Wednesday killed 32 Palestinians in Gaza, including 20 at a UN school, medics said, as the conflict between Israel and Hamas entered its 23rd day.

A shelling shortly after 5:30 am (0230 GMT) killed 20 people at a UN school being used as a shelter for those displaced by the war, medics said, without giving immediate details.

A UN official confirmed the shelling, saying it hit a bathroom and two classrooms on the site in Jabalia refugee camp, but gave a lower initial toll of between 13 and 15 dead.

A shelling earlier in the northern Gaza Strip killed an 11-year-old handicapped girl, emergency services spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra said, with a subsequent shelling in the centre of the small coastal territory killing a 16-year-old girl.

A strike shortly afterwards in the southern city of Khan Yunis killed nine members of a single family, Qudra said, including one child who could not immediately be identified.

A middle-aged man was killed early in the morning in the southern city of Rafah.

The deaths brought the total Palestinian toll from an Israeli operation to stamp out militant rocket fire to at least 1,262, according to Qudra's figures.

On the Israeli side, militant fire, including cross-border rocket fire, has killed 53 Israeli soldiers in addition to three civilians inside Israel.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Prince William and wife Kate expecting second child
PRINCE William and his wife Kate's second child, who will be fourth in line to the British throne, is due in April, an official statement said...
Heavily armed gunmen freed some 300 inmates from a prison in eastern Congo on Saturday...
Ebola is
Aid agency Oxfam said Ebola could become the "definitive humanitarian disaster of our generation", as US President Barack Obama urged against "hysteria" in the face of the growing crisis....
Ebola death toll shoots past 4,500 mark
THE death toll in the world's worst-ever Ebola outbreak has shot past 4,500, killing at least half of the more than 9,000 people infected...
Berlusconi paid for sex,he didn
Italy's former prime minister Sivlio Berlusconi did have sex with an exotic dancer nicknamed "Ruby the Heart Stealer"...
Obama authorizes reservists for Ebola fight in W.Africa
President Barack Obama on Thursday authorized the Pentagon to send reservists to take part in a US mission to combat the Ebola epidemic in West Africa....
Do Ugandan tycoons prepare their children to take over their business empires?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter