National
Kasese, Bundibugyo clashes: 255 attackers surrender
Publish Date: Jul 27, 2014
Kasese, Bundibugyo clashes: 255 attackers surrender
Security personnel deployed at the site where policemen were attacked on a weigh bridge in Kasese earlier this month. PHOTO/Wilson Asiimwe
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Hope Mafaranga

Up to 255 people who participated in this month’s Kasese and Bundibugyo attacks have surrendered to government and have asked for amnesty. Of those 86 are from Bundibugyo district.

Major Ronald Kakurungu, the 2nd division army spokesperson, said all of them are in Maliba sub-county, Kasese district awaiting rehabilitation.

Kakurungu said many people from Bundibugyo are surrendering in Kasese where they feel more secure than in Bundibugyo.

However, some people doubt their honesty because they are coming out without the weapons used in the attacks.

“We are being tasked to explain why those surrendering are not handing over the weapons they used to fight to government,” said Hajji Moses Muhindo, a member of the peace and reconciliation committee.

‘Just drama’

Maria Karungi, a resident of Bubukwanga, fears they are only tricking the government to buy more time to re-organize for a more aggressive attack.

“They are tricking government to think that they have reformed while looking for more tactics of a comeback. Sincerely speaking they had guns, pangas, arrows, bows spears but where are the weapons?” she reasoned.

“Government should instead task each of them to bring whatsoever weapon he used to fight. Otherwise their surrendering is just drama.”

Meanwhile, nine bodies exhumed from mass graves in Bundibugyo were on Friday reburied separately on government hospital land after no relatives turned up to identify or claim them.

Dr. Moses Byaruhanga, head of forensic in the Uganda Police Force, said the bodies had sharp and deep cuts in the head.

“All the nine male bodies had sharp cuts on the head. We are going to analyse them to see how deep the wounds are, in which part of the body and how many each body had,” he said.

Bundibugyo district leaders shunned the burial ceremony, with only the area LC1 chairperson turning up after because she was specifically called in.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Kigezi College fundraiser nets sh144m for facelift
President Yoweri Museveni has contributed sh60m towards the rehabilitation of Kigezi College Butobere located in Kabale district....
Bullet survivor: ‘I thought a stone had struck me’
Bandaged and writhing in pain in Mulago Hospital, Daniel Okim knows all too well he is lucky to be alive....
MTN ordered to provide murder suspects’ phone printouts
The High Court orders MTN Uganda to provide telephone printouts for three numbers used by suspects implicated in the murder of Lira businesswoman Susan Akidi Eryau....
KCCA to install modern traffic signals
To improve traffic flow in the city, KCCA is upgrading the traffic signal-controlled junctions of Nakawa, Wandegeya and Nateete....
Miss Tourism Northern Uganda, NTV reporter die in accident
Three people, including a local TV journalist, are killed in a road accident along the Masaka-Kampala highway....
President Museveni donates to Muslims
President Yoweri Museveni donated an assortment of items to Muslims at at Old Kampala Mosque....
Do you think Ugandan graduates are the worst in the region?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter