World
China shuts meat factory supplying McDonald's, KFC
Publish Date: Jul 21, 2014
China shuts meat factory supplying McDonald's, KFC
A actory of US food provider OSI Group for selling out-of-date meat to restaurant giants like KFC. (AFP/Getty Images)
  • mail
  • img
newvision

SHANGHAI - Shanghai has shut a factory of US food provider OSI Group for selling out-of-date meat to restaurant giants including McDonald's and KFC, authorities said Monday in China's latest food safety scandal.

Shanghai television, which reported the original allegations, said that workers at the OSI China plant mixed expired meat with the fresh product and deliberately misled quality inspectors from McDonald's.

Other customers included Burger King, Papa John's Pizza, coffee chain Starbucks and sandwich maker Subway, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported Monday.

City officials closed the factory on Sunday and seized products which allegedly used expired meat, the Shanghai food and drug administration said in a statement.

Police were investigating, it said, threatening "severe punishment" in future.


McDonald's says it had "immediately" stopped using the factory's products. (AFP/Getty Images)

McDonald's said in a statement it had "immediately" stopped using the factory's products while Yum separately said its KFC and Pizza Hut restaurants had also halted use of its meat.

China has been rocked by a series of food and product safety problems, due to lax enforcement of regulations and corner-cutting by producers.

One of the worst occurred in 2008 when the industrial chemical melamine was found to have been illegally added to dairy products, killing at least six babies and making 300,000 people ill.

Retail giant Walmart of the United States said early this year that it would tighten inspections of its suppliers in China after it was forced to recall donkey meat products that had been found to contain fox.

Last year, China detained hundreds of people for food safety crimes, including selling rat and fox meat disguised as beef and mutton, following a three-month crackdown, police said.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Two dead in US school shooting after online warnings
A US student who had issued chilling warnings on Twitter opened fire in a school cafeteria on Friday, killing at least one person and critically injuring three before taking his own life....
European stocks on Ebola, eurozone concerns
Europe's main stock markets pulled back Friday on concerns over New York's first Ebola case and the outlook for the eurozone....
Mexico governor steps down over student disappearances
The governor of the Mexican state where 43 students vanished a month ago following a confrontation with police allegedly linked to a major drug cartel has bowed to pressure to stand down....
A doctor who recently returned to New York from treating Ebola patients in Guinea tested positive on Thursday for the deadly virus, the first confirmed case in the city, officials said....
Missing Mexico journalist found shot dead
THE editor of an investigative magazine in violence-wracked northwestern Mexico who disappeared two weeks ago was found dead with gunshot wounds...
Bashir calls opponents for talks
SUDAN'S President Omar al-Bashir has urged opponents to join him in 'national dialogue' talks, days after it was announced he would be seeking re-election...
Should diplomatic passports issued to ex-govt workers be with drawn?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter