National
War-torn South Sudan gets Chinese weapons delivery
Publish Date: Jul 17, 2014
War-torn South Sudan gets Chinese weapons delivery
Sudan Peoples Liberation Army (SPLA) commandos demonstrate their fighting skills during celebrations marking three years of independence at the Dr. John Garang Mausoleum in Juba on July 9, 2014. AFP PHOTO
  • mail
  • img
newvision

JUBA - The government in civil war-torn South Sudan has taken delivery of new Chinese arms including anti-tank missiles, grenade launchers and assault rifles, the country's defence minister has confirmed.

The minister, Kuol Manyang Juuk, said the deal with China North Industries Corp (Norinco) was concluded in 2012, before the outbreak of fighting in December last year between rival troops loyal to President Salva Kiir and former vice president Riek Machar.

He confirmed a report by the Bloomberg news agency that the delivery, valued at $14.5 million, included 100 anti-tank missiles, 1,200 rockets, 9,000 assault rifles and hundreds of grenade launchers.

"The order was made since 2012 as a step towards professionalising our army," the minister told AFP.

"An army must be equipped so that it is able to deter anybody that will try to undermine the constitution and the territory of the nation. Any army in the world has the right to arm itself," he added.

South Sudan is the world's youngest nation, born of decades-long independence war with Khartoum. Its descent into civil war has been marked by widespread atrocities by both sides, and aid agencies say the country is now on the brink of a man-made famine.

RELATED ARTICLES

South Sudan calls for more food aid, hails Uganda

South Sudan famine within weeks: aid agencies

Misery stalks South Sudan refugees in camps

Oil fans flames of South Sudan war

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Big strides made in fighting TB, says WHO
The known tally of people with tuberculosis rose last year but overall "major progress" is being made in rolling back the disease, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Wednesday....
Minister Chebrot hospitalized in China
Dr. Steven Chebrot, the state minister for transport has been hospitalized in a Chinese hospital....
Drug-resistant TB at crisis levels, warns WHO
Multi drug-resistant tuberculosis remains at crisis levels, with about 480,000 new cases this year, and various forms of the lung disease killed about 1.5 million people in 2013, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday....
Terror suspects linked to Al Shabaab further remanded
Police are yet to conclude investigations in a case involving 10 terror suspects linked to Al Shabaab arrested last month from Kisenyi in Kampala....
Rwanda backtracks on special Ebola screening of travellers from US and Spain
Rwanda will no longer have special Ebola-screening measures imposed on travelers arriving from the United States and Spain...
7 Makerere students detained over demo
At least seven students who were arrested during the Monday Makerere University demostration against an attempted graduation fees increment face charges....
Was Oscar Pistorius' 5 year sentence fair and just?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter