World
Abuja blast suspect extradited to Nigeria
Publish Date: Jul 16, 2014
Abuja blast suspect extradited to Nigeria
Aminu Ogwuche, one of alleged masterminds of the Nyanya-Abuja bomb explosion of April 14, being guarded by Nigerian Interpol Security Officers upon his arrival at the presidential wing of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja after being extradited from Sudan. AFP Photo / National Information Centre
  • mail
  • img
newvision

 A man alleged to be the co-mastermind of April's deadly Abuja bus station bombing was extradited to Nigeria Tuesday, according to police.

The attack -- which was claimed by Boko Haram Islamists -- killed at least 75 people, making it the deadliest ever bombing in the Nigerian capital.

Nigerian police said Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche had been extradited from Sudan.

"The terror fugitive who had long since been arrested in Sudan following an international red notice issued for his arrest" had arrived at the Abuja airport, police said in a statement.

The bombing at a bus station packed with morning commuters on the outskirts of Nigeria's capital on April 14 killed 71 people and wounded 124. AFP Photo / National Information Centre

Interpol "Red Notices" are typically issued for wanted persons with a view to seeking their extradition.

Ogwuche arrived in the Sudanese capital late last year to study Arabic at the International University of Africa, but was in Nigeria earlier this year, according to a source in Khartoum.

He was detained on May 13 as he tried to get a visa from the Turkish embassy in central Khartoum.

Boko Haram, which said it was responsible for the April 14 bombing in the Abuja suburb of Nyanya, has been blamed for a string of brazen attacks in the country, including the mass kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
North Korea seeks joint probe into Sony hack
North Korea on Saturday called for a joint investigation with the United States into a crippling cyber attack on Sony Pictures, claiming it had means to prove Pyongyang had nothing to do with it....
Two men burnt alive in DRC after attack
Two men are burnt alive by civilians in the DR Congo''s volatile east after they attacked a military office....
Obama to N. Korea over Sony hack:
US President Barack Obama has warned North Korea it would face retaliation for a crippling cyber attack on Sony Pictures over an irreverent film comedy that infuriated Pyongyang....
N. Korea denies involvement in Sony cyber attack
North Korea's UN mission denies involvement in a cyber attack on Sony Pictures after the US FBI said it had evidence that Pyongyang was behind the hacking....
Vatican shuts down scrollmakers
The Vatican cracks down on the business amid reports of fake parchments being peddled to unwitting tourists for pricey sums....
Boko Haram
Boko Haram has kidnapped at least 185 people, including women and children, in northeast Nigeria, the latest mass abduction in a region where the military has repeatedly struggled to protect civilians, officials and witnesses said Thursday....
Do you agree with the ban on the export of maids?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter