today's Pick
Kasese attacks: Rwenzururu premier released
Publish Date: Jul 12, 2014
Kasese attacks: Rwenzururu premier released
President Yoweri Museveni speaks on the recent deadly attacks in western Uganda
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By John B. Thawite

Rwenzururu prime minister Noah Nzaghale has been released from Police custody where he had been detained for questioning, over the multiple attacks in Kasese, Bundibugyo and Ntoroko districts on July 5.


Nzaghale was picked from his office in Kasese town amid tight security and whisked to Kasese Central Police Station. Kasese District Police Commander Michael Musani Sabila said Nzaghale was released after recording a statement, but investigations into the case were still going on.

“We are still holding three other Rwenzururu officers,” Musani said.

Those still behind bars are the kingdom’s environment officer, Erisaniya Mberemu; the information minister and kingdom’s spokesperson, Joshua Kalimwithako Baluku and the chairman of the Rwenzururu esyomango S’Obusinga (youth wing), Mitusera Isebayanda.

High alert

“There is a high security alert to counter any further threats,” Musani said. he said deployments around various parts of the district had also increased.

“Registration centres for the ongoing national ID project have also been provided with extra security to ensure the process is not disrupted,” Musani said on phone.

Reception centre opened

Meanwhile, a reception centre has been opened for armed groups willing to surrender to the authorities, at the district multi-purpose hall near Kasese Airfield, Musani said.

“A good number are calling us, expressing their willingness to surrender, saying they were deceived into taking up arms against the State,” a top district leader said. The source said so far, three of the attackers had surrendered in Bundibugyo and handed over three guns.

RELATED ARTICLES

Death toll rises after Kasese, Bundibugyo attacks

50 killed in Bundibugyo, Kasese attacks

Bundibugyo to install cultural leader

Museveni speaks out on Kasese, Bundibugyo attacks

Rwenzururu leader held over Kasese, Bundibugyo attacks

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
US healthcare giant Johnson & Johnson on Wednesday said it would spend up to $200 million to speed up and expand its Ebola vaccine program, with testing slated to begin in January....
Tanzania will hold a referendum in April 2015 on a new constitution, the government has announced, a move rejected by the opposition, who said Thursday that the drafting process ignored it....
Constitutional Court rules on terror suspects’ trial
The Constitutional Court has ruled that the July 2010 Kampala twin bombing suspects are detained in Uganda legally and must stand trial in the High Court....
No fresh cases of Ebola-like Marburg virus - health
Ugandan health officials said Tuesday that all suspected cases of the Ebola-like Marburg virus had tested negative and those held in isolation released....
‘I watched a crocodile eat my body parts’
IT took Godfrey Mugobi six months of treatment at Jinja Hospital and his wife could not tolerate it and she deserted him...
Museveni meets Commonwealth Secretary General
PRESIDENT Museveni and Kamalesh Sharma discussed issues pertaining to the 24th Commonwealth Heads of State and Government meeting...
Was Oscar Pistorius' 5 year sentence fair and just?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter