today's Pick
Journalists blocked from Mubiru sodomy case trial
Publish Date: Jul 11, 2014
newvision
  • mail
  • img

By Michael Odeng

Journalists have been barred from covering proceedings regarding a case in which former Sports Club Villa manager, Christopher Mubiru Kisingiri, is accused of performing sexual acts against the order of nature.

On Thursday, Emmanuel Nyanzi, a victim in the case appeared before Buganda Road court chief magistrate Lillian Buchyana to testify against Mubiru. The case was held in chambers. All journalists who tried to access the chambers were sent away.

Prosecution led by Lilian Omara alleges that Mubiru on December 2009 at Mengo- Kisingiri zone in Rubaga division had canal knowledge of Emmanuel Nyanzi against the order of nature.

Mubiru, also former cranes team manager, was charged under Section 1 (29) of the Penal Code Act. This crime is punishable by 18 years in prison on conviction. He denied the charges preferred against him on January 6, 2014.

Police opened an enquiry file last year but had failed to arrest Mubiru because he had reportedly fled the country. However, he later returned and was arrested on December 15 and detained at Katwe Police Station in Kampala.

Mubiru was released on police bond on December 22, 2013 and requested to continue report to Criminal Investigations and Intelligence Directorate (CIID) headquarters.

Police opened the file following complaints from the victim and published video photos that were got from a stolen computer showing him (Mubiru) allegedly engaging in sexual relations with the youths.

Mubiru was later on charged and released on sh3m cash bail after presenting two substantial sureties in court who were also bonded at sh30m not cash. The sureties were his friend, Abudallah Mugalu and his sister Irene Nabawanuka.

The court adjourned the case to August 1, 2014 for further hearing.

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Burkina Faso leader defiant after violent day
Burkina Faso's President Blaise Compaore on Thursday refused to give up power but called off a state of emergency imposed after a violent uprising against his 27-year rule that saw parliament set ablaze....
Otafiire to media: Stop harassing Mbabazi
Justice minister Maj. Gen. Kahinda Otafiire says the press should stop what he termed as “harassing” former prime minister Amama Mbabazi....
Burkina parliament set ablaze in protests over president
Angry demonstrators went on the rampage in Burkina Faso on Thursday, setting parliament ablaze in a surge of violence that forced the government to scrap a vote on controversial plans to allow President Blaise Compaore to extend his 27-year rule....
Graca Machel wants woman to succeed Museveni
Uganda should have a female president when President Yoweri Museveni retires, South African former first lady has said....
Ebola cases slow in Liberia, but too soon to celebrate: WHO
The rate of new Ebola infections appears to be slowing in hard-hit Liberia, but the crisis is far from over, according to the World Health Organization....
Diabetes is the new driver of tuberculosis – report
A person suffering from diabetes is three times more likely to develop tuberculosis, a new research reveals....
Should the absence of bride price prevent couples from wedding?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter