World
Somalia sacks security chiefs after latest attacks
Publish Date: Jul 10, 2014
Somalia sacks security chiefs after latest attacks
Somalia president Hassan Sheikh Mohamud survived the attack on the presidential palace on Tuesday. AFP Photo
  • mail
  • img
newvision

SOMALIA'S president sacked his security chiefs Wednesday after Islamist Shebab fighters struck the heart of government in an escalating campaign of attacks in the capital and across east Africa.

Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab commandos stormed the presidential palace late Tuesday for the second time this year, demonstrating again their ability to infiltrate Mogadishu and hit the most fortified centres of the country's internationally-backed government.

President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, who was not in the complex at the time of the attack, delivered a defiant message close to the charred wreckage of the car bomb that gunmen used in their attempt to storm the compound.

"I am here to stay, with Allah's will... I say to them, you will not kill us, and nor will you demolish our spirit," Mohamud said, also thanking the 22,000-strong African Union force who helped battle the attackers and guard top officials.

Despite dismissing the Shebab attack as a "failure", several top security officials whose job it is to protect the capital were fired.

"Both the police and intelligence chiefs were replaced, and the minister for the national security was named," Information Minister Mustafa Duhulow said.

Khalif Ahmed Ereg, a former intelligence chief, was named as Somalia's new national security minister.

The post had been empty since his predecessor resigned in April following a suicide attack against the national parliament while MPs were in a meeting, killing several guards and staff.

Mohamed Abdulahi Hassan was appointed as the new intelligence chief, and Mohamed Sheik Hassan as police chief.

Recent Shebab attacks have targeted key areas of Somalia's government or the security forces, seemingly as part of a bid to discredit claims the authorities are winning the war against the Islamists.

While the 22,000-strong African Union force launched a fresh offensive in March against Shebab bases, seizing a series of towns, the insurgents have largely fled in advance and suffered few casualties.

'Well trained, well financed'

Despite territorial losses, the International Crisis Group warned that the Shebab fighters continue to have "deep reservoirs of fiscal and ideological support", saying in a recent report the "long connection between Al-Shebab's current leadership and Al-Qaeda is likely to strengthen".

As Shebab-held towns shrink in number, the extremists are shifting towards using "radicalised and well-trained individuals" to carry out "assassinations and terrorist attacks in urban areas, including increasingly in neighbouring countries, especially Kenya," the ICG said.

A Shebab spokesman confirmed that the group was behind Tuesday's attack, and claimed their commandos had at one point managed to seize the president's office inside the compound known as Villa Somalia.

However, the government dismissed their claims, saying the attackers -- who were dressed in government army uniforms -- had been killed near the entrance of the compound.

"Of the four attackers, three were killed in the car park and one was captured," Duhulow said.

Bomb disposal experts detonated several explosive devices, "including a suicide vest that one attacker was wearing that had failed to detonate," he added.

Tuesday's attack appeared to be a repeat of a Shebab assault against the presidential palace in February, when the Islamists, again wearing Somali army uniforms, managed to penetrate the complex with a car bomb before being killed.

The Shebab commander in Mogadishu, Sheikh Ali Mohamed Hussein, vowed last month that the capital would become the "frontline" for assaults.

The Shebab have also increased their scope of operations since last September, when they launched an attack on Nairobi's Westgate mall in which at least 67 people were killed.

In May the Shebab carried out a restaurant bombing in Djibouti, while Uganda and Ethiopia -- countries which also contribute to the AU force in Somalia -- have been on high alert.

Kenya has also seen a wave of massacres carried out by Islamists near the coastal resort island of Lamu, for which the Shebab has claimed responsibility, as well as a string of bombings in Mombasa and Nairobi.

AFP

Related stories

'UPDF instructors trained Al-Shabaab fighters'

Somalia declares new war on al-Shabaab

Al Shabaab claims attack on Kenya army convoy

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Pistorius to learn sentence for killing girlfriend
SOUTH African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius today learns his sentence for shooting dead his girlfriend on Valentine's Day last year...
Warring S.Sudan leaders accept
SOUTH Sudan President Salva Kiir and his arch-rival rebel chief Riek Machar have accepted mutual responsibility for a 10-month civil war...
US drone crashes at Niger airport
A US drone crash-landed at Niger's main airport for unknown reasons on Monday, the US army said, forcing the closure of the runway for several hours....
Warring South Sudan rivals meet in Tanzania
WARRING South Sudanese factions were meeting Monday in Tanzania in the latest bid to end a 10-month civil war in which thousands of people have been killed...
WHO declares Nigeria Ebola-free
AFRICA''S most populous nation Nigeria has been declared officially Ebola free but warned that it remained vulnerable as long as the virus was raging elsewhere in west Africa...
Prince William and wife Kate expecting second child
PRINCE William and his wife Kate's second child, who will be fourth in line to the British throne, is due in April, an official statement said...
Do Ugandan tycoons prepare their children to take over their business empires?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter