'13 killed' in new attacks in Kenya's Lamu
Publish Date: Jul 06, 2014
'13 killed' in new attacks in Kenya's Lamu
Last month, attacks on the nearby coastal Mpeketoni district left at least 60 dead. PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img

NAIROBI - At least 13 people have been killed in new attacks in Kenya's coastal county of Lamu, the same area where some 60 people were massacred last month, the Kenyan Red Cross said Sunday.

The organisation said nine people had died and one person was missing in the locality of Gamba, while four people had been killed in Hindi, a trading post near Lamu island. The areas were attacked late on Saturday evening, authorities said.

Shooting was reported in the same area late Saturday, authorities said.

Kenya's National Disaster Operations Centre said in a brief statement on Twitter that gunfire broke out in the trading centre of Hindi near the town of Mpeketoni, the scene of the mass killings.

The NDOC said that local authorities and police were responding and that the "location has been secured". But there were no reports of casualties.

The Kenyan Red Cross also said no casualties had been reported.

The incident took place around 15 kilometres (nice miles) from Lamu, once a popular tourist resort.

Details of the incident were not immediately clear, although a spokesman for Somalia's Shebab rebels issued a statement claiming that the Al-Qaeda-linked group's fighters had carried out another attack in the area.

"The attackers came back home safely to their base," Shebab military spokesman Abdulaziz Abu Musab said, claiming that 10 people had been killed in the attack.

Charred vehicles sit outside a police station in Mpeketoni, Lamu County, after about 50 heavily-armed gunmen launched an attack on the coastal town last month. PHOTO/AFP

The Shebab also claimed responsibility for last month's attack at Mpeketoni, saying it was in retaliation for Kenya's military presence in Somalia as part of the African Union force backing the country's fragile and internationally-backed government.

Survivors of the massacre in the town and a similar attack the following night in a nearby village reported gunmen speaking Somali and carrying Shebab flags killed non-Muslims and said their actions were revenge for Kenya's military presence in Somalia as part of the African Union force fighting the Islamists.

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta, however, denied that the Shebab were involved and instead blamed "local political networks" and said that the victims had been singled out because of their ethnicity.

The attackers appeared to target Mpeketoni because the town is a mainly Christian settlement in the Muslim-majority coastal region, having been settled decades ago by the Kikuyu people, the same tribe as Kenyatta.

Police also arrested alleged separatists from the Mombasa Republican Council (MRC), a group that campaigns for independence of the coastal region, as well as the governor of Lamu county, who is an opposition politician.

The unrest in the coastal region has badly dented Kenya's tourist industry -- a key foreign currency earner and massive employer for the country -- at one of its traditionally busiest times of the year.


The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Turkey shoots down Russian war plane on Syria border
NATO member Turkey on Tuesday shot down a Russian fighter jet on the Syrian border, threatening a major spike in tensions between two key protagonists in the four-year Syria civil war....
US issues global travel alert due to
The United States issued a worldwide travel alert on Monday warning American citizens of "increased terrorist threats" in the wake of the Paris attacks...
Mali in mourning as siege hotel yields clues
FRENCH and UN investigators joined a Mali police probe into a jihadist siege at a luxury hotel that left at least 19 dead as flags were lowered for three days of mourning...
Five arrests in new Belgium anti-terror raids: prosecutor
Belgian police arrested five more people in a new series of anti-terrorism raids Monday, prosecutors said as the capital Brussels was locked down for a third day under a state of maximum alert....
Brussels stays at top security alert over fears of Paris-style attack
Brussels will remain at the highest possible alert level Monday, with schools, universities and metros closed over a "serious and imminent" threat of attacks similar to those that struck Paris, the Belgian prime minister said....
Shooting in New Orleans leaves 10 injured
At least 10 people have been injured in New Orleans in a melee that erupted Sunday as hundreds of people packed a park to film a music video, local television reported...
Is Uganda ready for the pope's visit?
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter