Business
UCC disconnects Star Times
Publish Date: Jun 27, 2014
UCC disconnects Star Times
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Chris Kiwawulo              
 
Over 180,000 clients who subscribe to Star Times digital television are to miss the rest of the world cup games after Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) switched off the pay television over rights.

 
This was after UCC disconnected Star Times on Wednesday after the pay television had refused to heed to the regulatory body’s directives.
 
UCC executive director Godfrey Mutabazi on June 16, 2014, also wrote to Star Times Chief Executive Officer, Kevin Chen, directing to stop carrying the Uganda Broadcasting Corporation (UBC) channel on their platform, saying they did not have rights to broadcast the world cup.
 
“It is noted that Star Times is advertising and broadcasting the FIFA world cup in Brazil on the UBC channel available on your platform. Although UBC was granted the rights to broadcast the world cup by AUB, these were applicable only on the free-to-air platform and therefore your continued airing of the same contravenes the agreement to secure those rights between UBC and AUB, leaving UBC in violation of the agreement,” Mutabazi wrote.
 
Mutabazi directed Star Times to immediately halt the production, placement and airing of any advertisements and broadcast of world cup matches on their network via the UBC channel, and warned that the pay television faced legal action in case they failed to heed to the directive.
 
Mutabazi on Thursday said they disconnected Star Times for the whole of Wednesday for refusing to heed to his directive. “We warned them to stop carrying the UBC channel during world cup but they refused, so, we disconnected them. But they have now repented their sins and they should be back on air,” he said.
 
However, Mutabazi said they later agreed with Star Times to have the UBC channel removed from their platform during world cup games. “If they leave it on, we shall disconnect them again.”
 
Star Times on Thursday sent out short messages to its clients reading; “Star Times wishes to inform you that our signals are temporarily off due to some technical problems, it will be back soon. Sorry for the inconviniences. Thank you.”
 
The pay television spokesperson Christine Nagujja admitted that they had been disconnected, but she was quick to add that they had been reconnected. “We had some issues including airing of world cup via UBC on our platform but we have resolved them and we are back on air,” she stated.
 
President Yoweri Museveni paid $600,000 (sh1.5b) for broadcast rights of the Brazil 2014 World Cup on UBC from the African Union of Broadcasting/Federation of International Football Associations (AUB/FIFA).
 
Prior to the UCC warning, On June 12, 2014, UBC managing director Paul Kihika wrote to Star Times instructing them to temporarily block the UBC live feed on the Star Times network whenever the FIFA World Cup games are airing.
 
Before Kihika’s warning, AUB had on May 14, 2014 raised a red flag over Star Times’ use of the UBC platform to advertise the sale of their digital decoders.
 
However, Star Times insisted that they had not breached any regulations or agreement and they continued to broadcast the world cup matches via UBC. Nagujja had said they were not airing world cup but only using decoders to pick the free-to-air UBC channel which broadcasts the matches.              
 

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Gov’t to enact law against SACCOs money theft
Government is in the process of enacting a law that that will punish those found guilty of stealing people’s savings through the Savings and Credit Schemes (SACCOS)....
Japan MPs set out to promote Uganda’s tourism
Legislators from the Japanese parliament are to promote Uganda as a tourist destination in the East African region, as revealed by two Japanese MPs....
Fresh row hits $8bn railway deal
Fresh controversy is stalking the over $8b Standard Gauge Railway deal, with the company that lost the deal seeking audience with the President....
BATU ends tobacco leaf business
British American Tobacco Uganda (BATU) will discontinue its leaf growing and export business after 86 years with a new player set to enter the market at the end of the year....
Police close illegal micro finance; over sh20m in savings lost
Police in Njeru Town Council has closed an illegal micro finance bank over defrauding unsuspecting members of the public over sh20m...
More oil resources found in Albert region
The Petroleum Exploration and Production Department has said that the oil resource confirmed is now 6.5 billion barrels from the fields studied....
Do you think banning the sale of single cigarette sticks will help regulate tobacco production?
yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter