Sport
Muntari and Boateng expelled by Ghana
Publish Date: Jun 26, 2014
Muntari and Boateng expelled by Ghana
Ghanas preparations for Thursdays crunch tie against Portugal have been thrown into disarray. AFP Photo
  • mail
  • img
newvision

Ghana stars Sulley Muntari and Kevin-Prince Boateng have both been indefinitely suspended from their national team for disciplinary reasons, the Ghana Football Association (GFA) said Thursday.

AC Milan midfielder Muntari, 29, is accused of attacking a member of the management team Moses Armah, while Schalke 04 midfielder Boateng, 27, is said to have verbally abused national team coach Kwesi Appiah, the GFA said on its website.

Both have had their World Cup accreditations withdrawn.

Kevin-Prince Boateng's World Cup has been brought to a halt after a verbal joust with coach Kwesi Appiah. AFP Photo  

Referring to Muntari, the GFA said: "The decision was taken in the wake of his unprovoked physical attack on an Executive Committee member of the GFA and a management member of the Black Stars, Mr. Moses Armah on Tuesday 24th June, 2014 during a meeting."

A similar statement explained the measure taken against Boateng.

"The decision was taken following Boateng's vulgar verbal insults targeted at coach Kwesi Appiah during the team's training session in Maceio this week," said the GFA statement.

 

"Boateng has since showed no remorse for his actions which has resulted in the decision."

Sulley Muntari is reported to have assaulted a member of the backroom staff and has had his accreditation for the tournament withdrawn. AFP Photo

In both cases the GFA said the decisions were taken with immediate effect.

Ghana are due to play Portugal in Brasilia at 1600GMT.

They need to win and hope there is a winner in the other Group G match between Germany and the USA in Recife at the same time to stand any chance of making the knock-out rounds.

Muntari started both Ghana's games so far in the competition while Boateng came on as a substitute against the United States before then being a starter, who was replaced, in the second match against Germany.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
South Africa
South Africa's Olympic 800m runner Mbulaeni Mulaudzi has been killed in a car crash...
Rugby clubs scramble for players ahead of league kick-off
The scramble for players has taken centre stage as the 2014/2015 Nile Special Premier Rugby League kicks off next on November 1, 2014....
Boniface Kiprop targets Beijing World championships
Former Commonwealth and World Junior 10000m champion Boniface Kiprop has said that he has fully recovered from the muscle injury that has kept him off the track for over five years and his target is to win a medal at next year’s IAAF World Athletics championships in Beijing....
Uganda scrapes past Singapore by one run
Jonathan Ssebanja kept his calm, picking two wickets, including facilitating a run-out on the last ball as he guided Uganda to a one run victory over Singapore....
FUFA Big League results
Kireka United continued their impressive start to the season with a 2 - 0 win against home side Wandegeya in the FUFA Big League at Kiteezi grounds on Thursday....
Italian Tuscany camp to treat Ugandan athletes
Elite athletes are set to get free medical treatment from one of the World’s leading sports medical outfits in Sienna, Italy, after the Uganda Athletics Federation signed a two-year medical agreement with Tuscany Sports Camp in Italy....
Should diplomatic passports issued to ex-govt workers be with drawn?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter