National
Congolese warlord Katanga drops ICC appeal
Publish Date: Jun 25, 2014
Congolese warlord Katanga drops ICC appeal
Convicted Congolese warlord Germain Katanga
  • mail
  • img
newvision

THE HAGUE - Convicted Congolese warlord Germain Katanga has dropped an appeal against a 12-year sentence for arming an ethnic militia that carried out a brutal village massacre in 2003, the International Criminal Court said on Wednesday.

The decision cements the Hague-based ICC's first final judgement and its second sentencing since opening its doors in 2003.

Katanga's lawyers "notified the Appeals Chamber that he had decided to discontinue his appeal," the court said in a statement.

The former militia boss "accepted the judgment... and its conclusions on his role as well as his conduct," the court added.

In turn, ICC chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said Wednesday that her office would drop their own appeal against the sentence.

Katanga, 36, was convicted in March of war crimes and crimes against humanity, including murder and pillaging, for his role in the attack on Bogoro village in the volatile east of the Democratic Republic of Congo on February 24, 2003.

He was sentenced in May, but judges said the almost seven years Katanga has already spent in detention will be deducted from the sentence.

Judges found Katanga, also known as "Simba" (lion), armed fighters of the Patriotic Resistance Forces in Ituri (FRPI) who carried out the village massacre in which more than 200 people died.

His sentence was the court's second since opening its doors in 2003. Another Congolese warlord and one-time adversary of Katanga, Thomas Lubanga, was given a jail term of 14 years in July 2012 for recruiting and enlisting child soldiers.

The Ituri region where the Bogoro massacre occurred has been riven by violence since 1999, when clashes broke out that killed at least 60,000 people, according to rights groups.

In 2003, the DR Congo was just emerging from a war that embroiled the armies of at least half a dozen nations on rival sides, and its isolated east was rife with violent militias including the FRPI.

Arrested in 2005 in the Congo, Katanga was transferred to The Hague in October 2007.

His trial, together with that of his fellow defendant Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui, started two years later.

In November 2012, judges split the trials and Ngudjolo was acquitted a year later after the ICC ruled that he did not play a commanding role in the Bogoro attack.

RELATED ARTICLES

ICC sentences Congolese warlord over massacre

War crimes court acquits Congolese war lord

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Big strides made in fighting TB, says WHO
The known tally of people with tuberculosis rose last year but overall "major progress" is being made in rolling back the disease, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Wednesday....
Minister Chebrot hospitalized in China
Dr. Steven Chebrot, the state minister for transport has been hospitalized in a Chinese hospital....
Drug-resistant TB at crisis levels, warns WHO
Multi drug-resistant tuberculosis remains at crisis levels, with about 480,000 new cases this year, and various forms of the lung disease killed about 1.5 million people in 2013, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday....
Terror suspects linked to Al Shabaab further remanded
Police are yet to conclude investigations in a case involving 10 terror suspects linked to Al Shabaab arrested last month from Kisenyi in Kampala....
Rwanda backtracks on special Ebola screening of travellers from US and Spain
Rwanda will no longer have special Ebola-screening measures imposed on travelers arriving from the United States and Spain...
7 Makerere students detained over demo
At least seven students who were arrested during the Monday Makerere University demostration against an attempted graduation fees increment face charges....
Was Oscar Pistorius' 5 year sentence fair and just?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter