Business
Govt selects two final bidders for oil refinery
Publish Date: Jun 25, 2014
Govt selects two final bidders for oil refinery
Eng. Irene Muloni, the Minister of Energy and Mineral Development
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By John Odyek

Two consortia from Russia and South Korea have emerged as the final bidders of Uganda's $2.5 billion refinery after two others from China and Japan were knocked out of the bidding process, the Ministry of Energy said on Tuesday. 
 
The ministry said in statement that a consortium led by South Korea's SK Energy Co. and another led by Russia's RT-Global Resources had been selected to proceed to the final phase of the bidding process.
 
Uganda wants to add value to its crude output to maximise earnings from its hydrocarbon reserves in the Albertine Basin in Western Uganda. 
 
Government geologists estimate reserves at 3.5 billion barrels with 1.7 m barrels recoverable. 
 
The refinery is expected to be set up in Hoima district.
 
Early this month the two companies together with China's state-owned China Petroleum Pipeline Bureau (CPPB) and Japan's Marubeni Corporation were invited to submit bids from an initial shortlist of six firms.
 
Marubeni Corporation’s proposal was not evaluated because it lacked a bid bond while CPPB's proposal did not adequately satisfy all the requirements of tender, the statement said.
 
“Government will commence negotiations with the two preferred bidders. 
 
The two consortia will be expected to submit their respective best and final offers by the end of August 2014,” the statement said.
 
Officials have said a final winner, who is expected to take up a 60 percent stake in project as well as developing and operating it, will be announced by the end of the fourth quarter this year. 
 
The facility is planned to process 60,000 bpd and much of Uganda’s projected crude output is expected to be exported via a pipeline through Kenya, which has yet to be built. 
 
Oil production is expected to begin in 2017 with maximum output seen at 200,000 barrels. 
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Gov’t to enact law against SACCOs money theft
Government is in the process of enacting a law that that will punish those found guilty of stealing people’s savings through the Savings and Credit Schemes (SACCOS)....
Japan MPs set out to promote Uganda’s tourism
Legislators from the Japanese parliament are to promote Uganda as a tourist destination in the East African region, as revealed by two Japanese MPs....
Fresh row hits $8bn railway deal
Fresh controversy is stalking the over $8b Standard Gauge Railway deal, with the company that lost the deal seeking audience with the President....
BATU ends tobacco leaf business
British American Tobacco Uganda (BATU) will discontinue its leaf growing and export business after 86 years with a new player set to enter the market at the end of the year....
Police close illegal micro finance; over sh20m in savings lost
Police in Njeru Town Council has closed an illegal micro finance bank over defrauding unsuspecting members of the public over sh20m...
More oil resources found in Albert region
The Petroleum Exploration and Production Department has said that the oil resource confirmed is now 6.5 billion barrels from the fields studied....
Do you think banning the sale of single cigarette sticks will help regulate tobacco production?
yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter