Business
Govt selects two final bidders for oil refinery
Publish Date: Jun 25, 2014
Govt selects two final bidders for oil refinery
Eng. Irene Muloni, the Minister of Energy and Mineral Development
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By John Odyek

Two consortia from Russia and South Korea have emerged as the final bidders of Uganda's $2.5 billion refinery after two others from China and Japan were knocked out of the bidding process, the Ministry of Energy said on Tuesday. 
 
The ministry said in statement that a consortium led by South Korea's SK Energy Co. and another led by Russia's RT-Global Resources had been selected to proceed to the final phase of the bidding process.
 
Uganda wants to add value to its crude output to maximise earnings from its hydrocarbon reserves in the Albertine Basin in Western Uganda. 
 
Government geologists estimate reserves at 3.5 billion barrels with 1.7 m barrels recoverable. 
 
The refinery is expected to be set up in Hoima district.
 
Early this month the two companies together with China's state-owned China Petroleum Pipeline Bureau (CPPB) and Japan's Marubeni Corporation were invited to submit bids from an initial shortlist of six firms.
 
Marubeni Corporation’s proposal was not evaluated because it lacked a bid bond while CPPB's proposal did not adequately satisfy all the requirements of tender, the statement said.
 
“Government will commence negotiations with the two preferred bidders. 
 
The two consortia will be expected to submit their respective best and final offers by the end of August 2014,” the statement said.
 
Officials have said a final winner, who is expected to take up a 60 percent stake in project as well as developing and operating it, will be announced by the end of the fourth quarter this year. 
 
The facility is planned to process 60,000 bpd and much of Uganda’s projected crude output is expected to be exported via a pipeline through Kenya, which has yet to be built. 
 
Oil production is expected to begin in 2017 with maximum output seen at 200,000 barrels. 
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Finance ministry releases funds for first quarter
The ministry’s permanent secretary, Keith Muhakanizi (also secretary to the treasury) wrote to all accounting officers informing them of the developments....
Agric ministry creates directorate to address risks
The ministry of agriculture, animal industry and fisheries has set up a directorate dedicated to the delivery of extension services in the country...
Sudhir’s tenants resume business on tight conditions
Traders operating business on Sudhir Ruparelia’s shopping arcades including Tourist Hotel, Platinum House and Plot 11 have reopened their shops after having a non-fruitful strike on Monday...
Kampala to get first city tour buses in new boost for urban tourism
Kampala is set to get its first city tour buses a development that will come as a major boost for urban tourism and further diversity tourism’s product offerings....
Inflation rises on strong dollar
Consumers should expect to pay more for imported goods and locally manufactured products that use imported raw materials as the dollar continues to mount pressure on the shilling....
Only 23 percent of Ugandans access internet
The permanent secretary in the ministry of ICT Dr. Jimmy Pat Samanya has called for reduction in internet fees to enable more Ugandans benefit from it....
With Eddie Kenzo’s win at the BET awards, is Ugandan music being recognized worldwide?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter