World
Gunmen kill five in fresh Kenya coast attack
Publish Date: Jun 24, 2014
newvision
  • mail
  • img

At least five people have been killed in a new attack on Kenya's coast, officials said Tuesday, one week after some 60 people died in twin massacres nearby.
The attack took place overnight on a small village near the town of Witu, some 40 kilometres (25 miles) on the mainland west of the tourist island of Lamu.


"There is another attack where five people were killed," a police officer in Lamu said on condition on anonymity.
Lamu County Commissioner Stephen Ikua confirmed there had been a new "unfortunate attack", the third in the area this month, but said he could not confirm casualties.
"We have sent our officers to the ground to get more details," Ikua said.
There was no immediate claims of responsiblity.

Attacks last week on the nearby coastal Mpeketoni district left at least 60 dead and were claimed by Somalia's Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab insurgents, though President Uhuru Kenyatta blamed "well-planned, orchestrated and politically motivated ethnic violence" carried out by "local political networks."
The accusations have stoked already tense political rivalry between Kenyatta and opposition parties.
Somalia's Shebab have carried out a string of revenge attacks for Kenya's military role in southern Somalia, including last year's siege of the Westgate shopping mall that left 67 people dead.
Kenyan fighter jets and attack helicopters launched renewed air strikes on Sunday in southern Somalia targeting Shebab bases, as part of an offensive by the 22,000-strong UN-backed AU mission in Somalia (AMISOM), who launched in March a fresh bid to wrest remaining towns from the Islamists.
Kenya army spokesman Major Emmanuel Chirchir boasted the strikes had "left more than 80 Al-Shebab terrorists killed."
But Shebab spokesman Abdulaziz Abu Musab, who said Kenyan troops with the AU were also fighting the Islamists on the ground Monday, dismissed claims over 80 of his fighters had been killed as propaganda.
In separate attacks, at least 20 people were killed over the weekend in northeastern Kenya in ethnic clashes, the latest in a series of revenge attacks between rival Somali clans that has killed over 80 people and forced over 75,000 people from their homes since May.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Burkina Faso military chief says he has taken over
Burkina Faso military chief says he has taken over as head of state...
Blaise Compaore steps down
BURKINA Faso''s embattled President Blaise Compaore has announced that he is stepping down to make way for elections following a violent uprising against his 27-year rule...
Burkina Faso leader defiant after violent day
Burkina Faso's President Blaise Compaore on Thursday refused to give up power but called off a state of emergency imposed after a violent uprising against his 27-year rule that saw parliament set ablaze....
Burkina Faso army announces dissolution of govt, parliament
Burkina Faso’s army has announced the dissolution of government and the country’s National Assembly...
Sweden to recognize State of Palestine today
Swedish government expected to officially recognize State of Palestine today, says Jerusalem official; Israel has been informed of decision...
Man dies after downing 56 shots of liquor
French police open an investigation following the death of a man in his 50s after he downs 56 shots during a drinking competition....
Should the absence of bride price prevent couples from wedding?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter