National
Parents of baby with ‘extra limbs’ demand to take him home
Publish Date: Jun 18, 2014
Parents of baby with ‘extra limbs’ demand to take him home
The parents with their baby at Mulago. Photo/Violet Nabatanzi
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By John Agaba

The parents of the baby who was born with extra limbs last month are insisting on taking their child home, saying he is in a sound state and not sick after all.

But Mulago hospital administrators have refused to budge, saying they still need to run some tests on the baby, who was born with two scrotums and five extra limbs late last month.
 

On Wednesday, a visibly agitated Boniface Okongo, the father of the baby, and his wife Margaret Awino, spent the entire afternoon pleading with the hospital administrators to let them take the baby home, all in vain.

According to them, Baby Balungi may have come out with the extra limbs, but he is alright.
 

“Why can’t they let us take our baby home, after all there is nothing they are giving him like medicine?” said the baby’s father Okongo.
 

“We can go home and bring him (the baby) back to hospital when they want to carry out the other tests,” the peasant from Bugiri district, said.
 

“I want to go home and look after my other children,” said the father of four.
 

But, Enock Kusasira, the Mulago Hospital spokesperson, insisted that Okongo and the boy’s mother can’t take him from hospital, unless otherwise.
 

“We can’t discharge a patient because the parents have other pressing issues at home,” he said.
 

“It is the doctor to determine whether a patient should be discharged or not, not the parents. If the father wants to go and look after the other children, let him go, but provide someone who can assist the wife to look after the baby,” Kusasira said.
 

But, Okongo insisted he can’t leave his wife behind.
 

Also related to this story

Parents shocked by child born with four extra limbs

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Big strides made in fighting TB, says WHO
The known tally of people with tuberculosis rose last year but overall "major progress" is being made in rolling back the disease, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Wednesday....
Minister Chebrot hospitalized in China
Dr. Steven Chebrot, the state minister for transport has been hospitalized in a Chinese hospital....
South Sudan Women Suggest Sex Strike to End War
A group of South Sudanese women peace activists has suggested that men in the civil war-torn country be denied sex...
Drug-resistant TB at crisis levels, warns WHO
Multi drug-resistant tuberculosis remains at crisis levels, with about 480,000 new cases this year, and various forms of the lung disease killed about 1.5 million people in 2013, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday....
Terror suspects linked to Al Shabaab further remanded
Police are yet to conclude investigations in a case involving 10 terror suspects linked to Al Shabaab arrested last month from Kisenyi in Kampala....
Rwanda backtracks on special Ebola screening of travellers from US and Spain
Rwanda will no longer have special Ebola-screening measures imposed on travelers arriving from the United States and Spain...
Was Oscar Pistorius' 5 year sentence fair and just?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter