National
Opposition resolve to field single presidential candidate in 2016
Publish Date: Jun 18, 2014
Opposition resolve to field single presidential candidate in 2016
UPC president Otunnu Olala speaks to CP president Ken Lukyamuzi during a joint press conference at the FDC head office, on Monday. PHOTO.Eddie Ssejjoba
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Mary Machocho and David Lumu

A closed-door three-day retreat organized by opposition leaders at Ankrah foundation in Mukono has resolved that a sole candidate be fronted to face-off with President Yoweri Museveni in 2016.


According to the DP officials, the opposition leaders also agreed during the retreat that an all-inclusive national consultative meeting be convened on July 28 so that Ugandans can debate the political landscape of the country ahead of 2016.

According to DP spokesperson, Fred Mwesigwa, it was suggested during the Mukono retreat that NRM leaders, including President Museveni, cultural and religious leaders, opinion leaders and other concerned citizens be given invitation letters for the national consultative meeting that would take place at Mandela National Stadium in Namboole.

The meeting that started on Friday last week ended on Sunday with Muntu and Mao rallying the opposition to understand the need to build grass root structures as a tool of deepening their support among Ugandans.

The opposition also resolved to intensify the ongoing campaign for free and fair elections and leaders such as Maj.Gen. Mugisha Muntu (FDC president), Norbert Mao (DP president), Olara Otunnu (UPC president) and John Ken Lukyamuzi (CP president) urged their opposition colleagues to avoid violence as a method of regime change.

“The meeting resolved that we shall remain united and work together. The meeting also agreed that as citizens we shall go ahead and convene an inclusive national consultation meeting to build a political consensus,” Mwesigwa said.

Meanwhile, DP condemned the Kenyan bombing this week that claimed over 50 lives in Lamu, a Kenyan coastal town in Mombasa.

The Somali-Islamists, Al-Shabaab have been linked to the attack.

Expressing their condolences, DP officials urged the Kenyan government and all East Africa governments for vigilance on the regional approach to combat terrorism.

RELATED ARTICLES

Opposition to field joint candidate in Amuru polls

I am ready to lead opposition, says Bukenya

Police block opposition rally in Mbale

Opposition lists budget priorities

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Museveni tips manufacturing to curb unemployment
President Yoweri Museveni has urged the East African Community (EAC) to create a favorable environment for manufacturing to flourish as a means of curbing high and growing youth unemployment in the region and the continent....
Museveni receives special message from S. Sudan
President Yoweri Museveni has received a special message from President Salva Kiir of South Sudan....
Africa in the dock at the ICC
The International Criminal Court, where the trial opens Wednesday of Congolese warlord Bosco Ntaganda, has launched investigations in eight African countries....
Dispute erupts, delegates’ conference halted
The Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) delegates’ conference has been halted for about 30 minutes following a disagreement among members over genuine delegates....
Makerere forestry don Lwanga Ssali dead
Dr. Jeremiah Lwanga Ssali, a senior lecturer at the department of forestry and biodiversity at Makerere University has died.He died at CASE Hospital in Kampala on Monday....
Jailed former prison
The Commissioner General of Prison, has granted special status to Anthony Okwonga, 80, the jailed former Officer in Charge of Upper Prison and 25 inmate leaders who are about to complete their sentences....
Are poor parliamentary debates a result of removal of school debates?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter