National
Opposition resolve to field single presidential candidate in 2016
Publish Date: Jun 18, 2014
Opposition resolve to field single presidential candidate in 2016
UPC president Otunnu Olala speaks to CP president Ken Lukyamuzi during a joint press conference at the FDC head office, on Monday. PHOTO.Eddie Ssejjoba
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Mary Machocho and David Lumu

A closed-door three-day retreat organized by opposition leaders at Ankrah foundation in Mukono has resolved that a sole candidate be fronted to face-off with President Yoweri Museveni in 2016.


According to the DP officials, the opposition leaders also agreed during the retreat that an all-inclusive national consultative meeting be convened on July 28 so that Ugandans can debate the political landscape of the country ahead of 2016.

According to DP spokesperson, Fred Mwesigwa, it was suggested during the Mukono retreat that NRM leaders, including President Museveni, cultural and religious leaders, opinion leaders and other concerned citizens be given invitation letters for the national consultative meeting that would take place at Mandela National Stadium in Namboole.

The meeting that started on Friday last week ended on Sunday with Muntu and Mao rallying the opposition to understand the need to build grass root structures as a tool of deepening their support among Ugandans.

The opposition also resolved to intensify the ongoing campaign for free and fair elections and leaders such as Maj.Gen. Mugisha Muntu (FDC president), Norbert Mao (DP president), Olara Otunnu (UPC president) and John Ken Lukyamuzi (CP president) urged their opposition colleagues to avoid violence as a method of regime change.

“The meeting resolved that we shall remain united and work together. The meeting also agreed that as citizens we shall go ahead and convene an inclusive national consultation meeting to build a political consensus,” Mwesigwa said.

Meanwhile, DP condemned the Kenyan bombing this week that claimed over 50 lives in Lamu, a Kenyan coastal town in Mombasa.

The Somali-Islamists, Al-Shabaab have been linked to the attack.

Expressing their condolences, DP officials urged the Kenyan government and all East Africa governments for vigilance on the regional approach to combat terrorism.

RELATED ARTICLES

Opposition to field joint candidate in Amuru polls

I am ready to lead opposition, says Bukenya

Police block opposition rally in Mbale

Opposition lists budget priorities

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Clerics irked by delayed electoral reforms
CLERGY under their umbrella body, the Ugandan Joint Christian Council (UJCC) have expressed profound concern over government's delay to pass electoral reforms...
Pangolin scales case judgement for May 25
COURT is on May 25 expected to give its verdict in the pangolin scales case pitting environmental lobby group Greenwatch, and UWA in partnership with pangolin scales businessman Smith Ewa Maku...
Tributes for Kagezi pour in from around the world
WORLD leaders and global institutions have joined politicians, statesmen and clergy from Uganda to pay tribute to Senior Principal State Attorney Joan Kagezi...
10 Kampala public schools face eviction
APPEARING before the parliamentary select committee on public schools Jennifer Musisi suggested that govt lodges caveats on land on which govt grant aided primary schools are situated...
UPC calls for elimination of street parking
UGANDA Peoples Congress has asked authorities to revisit car street parking in Kampala to exclude areas in the Central Business District...
UPDF retires 88-year old soldier
An 88-year old UPDF soldier with 36 children has finally been discharged from the army after making six failed attempts to retire....
Should police arrest parents who do not take their children to school?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter