World
30 dead in Syria barrel bomb attacks in Aleppo
Publish Date: Jun 16, 2014
30 dead in Syria barrel bomb attacks in Aleppo
Sukkari neighbourhood, an opposition-held district in the northern Syrian city of Aleppo, on June 16, 2014. PHOTO/ AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

BEIRUT- Syrian regime helicopters has dropped barrel bombs on opposition-held districts in the northern city of Aleppo, killing at least 30 people including several children, an NGO said.
 
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said a number of people were injured, some of then seriously, in the attacks on the Sukkari and Ashrafiyeh neighbourhoods.
 
The group distributed gruesome images from the scene of the attacks on Sukkari, where 24 people were killed, showing residents holding body parts of victims from the raid.
 
Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman said a first attack created chaos, with residents and medics rushing to the scene to help.
 

Emergency personnel gather at the scene after Syrian regime helicopters allegedly dropped barrel bombs on the Sukkari neighbourhood, an opposition-held district in the northern Syrian city of Aleppo, on June 16, 2014, killing  people. AFP /PHOTO

 
Several minutes after the first attack, a second bomb was dropped on the same site, with those there trying to flee but many failing to do so in time.
 
Another six people died in a separate barrel bomb attack in a rebel-held area in Ashrafiyeh neighbourhood, in the north of the city.
 
Syria's regime has waged a fierce aerial offensive against rebel-held parts of Aleppo since last December.
 
The Observatory said in May that the campaign had killed nearly 2,000 people -- more than a quarter of them children -- since the beginning of 2014.
 
Rights groups have decried the regime's use of barrel bombs as unlawful because they lack an aiming mechanism, causing indiscriminate casualties.
 
Tens of thousands of people have fled Aleppo's opposition districts because of the aerial campaign.
 
Elsewhere, the Observatory said 11 people, including eight children, were killed on Sunday night by rebel shelling of a government-held area in western Idlib province.
 
More than 162,000 people have been killed in Syria's conflict, which began with peaceful protests against President Bashar al-Assad's regime in March 2011 before spiraling into a bloody war after a massive government crackdown on dissent. 
 
An emergency responder helps a child stuck in a collapsed building following a reported barrel-bomb attack by government forces on the northern Syrian city of Aleppo on June 13, 2014. AFP /PHOTO 
 
RELATED STORIES
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Pistorius to learn sentence for killing girlfriend
SOUTH African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius today learns his sentence for shooting dead his girlfriend on Valentine's Day last year...
Warring S.Sudan leaders accept
SOUTH Sudan President Salva Kiir and his arch-rival rebel chief Riek Machar have accepted mutual responsibility for a 10-month civil war...
US drone crashes at Niger airport
A US drone crash-landed at Niger's main airport for unknown reasons on Monday, the US army said, forcing the closure of the runway for several hours....
Warring South Sudan rivals meet in Tanzania
WARRING South Sudanese factions were meeting Monday in Tanzania in the latest bid to end a 10-month civil war in which thousands of people have been killed...
WHO declares Nigeria Ebola-free
AFRICA''S most populous nation Nigeria has been declared officially Ebola free but warned that it remained vulnerable as long as the virus was raging elsewhere in west Africa...
Prince William and wife Kate expecting second child
PRINCE William and his wife Kate's second child, who will be fourth in line to the British throne, is due in April, an official statement said...
Do Ugandan tycoons prepare their children to take over their business empires?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter