today's Pick
Gunmen attack Kenyan coastal town, 48 dead
Publish Date: Jun 16, 2014
Gunmen attack Kenyan coastal town, 48 dead
Mpeketoni town is a trading centre on the main coastal road.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

GUNMEN in Kenya attacked a busy coastal town late Sunday, opening fire from two minibuses and setting two hotels on fire, officials said, adding the attackers were suspected Islamist insurgents.

There was no immediate confirmation of casualties, but residents said the attack lasted for hours.

People gather next to charred vehicles outside a police station in Mpeketoni, in Lamu county along the Kenyan coast, after some 50 heavily-armed gunmen attacked the town

Kenyan army spokesman Major Emmanuel Chirchir said the gunmen entered the western town of Mpeketoni, a trading centre on the main coastal road, and started "shooting people around in town".

The "assailants (are) likely to be Al-Shabaab," Chirchir said, referring to Somalia's Al-Qaeda-linked insurgents.

Men wear protective gloves as they stand in and outside a house where the bodies of victims are gathered in Mpeketoni, in Lamu county along the Kenyan coast

"Military surveillance planes are currently airborne to help police operations," Kenya's National Disaster Operation Centre said.

The town lies on the mainland some 30 kilometres (20 miles) southwest of Lamu island, a popular tourist destination whose ancient architecture is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Victims' bodies lie in the back of a truck in Mpeketoni, in Lamu county along the Kenyan coast

The shooting began around 8:00 pm (1700 GMT), with gunshots reported up to four hours later.

Hotels set on fire

Two hotels, local boarding houses in the town, were "attacked and set on fire," the disaster centre added.

A police station and a bank were also reportedly attacked, according to residents, although officials could not confirm the extent of the fighting.

Charred vehicles sit outside a police station in Mpeketoni, in Lamu county along the Kenyan coast

"Some buildings are on fire and we are hearing gunshots," resident Julius Kimotho told AFP.

Benson Maisori, a senior civil servant, said four hours after attack began that "fighting is going on".

Cafes and bars were reported to have been busy with people watching the World Cup on television.

Charred vehicles sit outside a police station in Mpeketoni, in Lamu county along the Kenyan coast

Armed bandits also operate in the area, but army sources said that the number of gunmen involved and the apparently well planned operation pointed to the Shabaab.

The Shabaab claimed responsiblity last month for killing two Kenyan soldiers in the same district as Sunday's attack, although further north nearer to the lawless border zone with Somalia.

People gather near the body of a man lying in the street in Mpeketoni, in Lamu county along the Kenyan coast

No group immediately claimed responsibility, but it was the latest in a series of attacks or bombings to hit Kenya.

The attacks are usually blamed on the Shabaab or their supporters in Kenya.

Kenyan troops crossed into southern Somalia in 2011 to fight the Shebab, later joining the now 22,000-strong African Union force battling the Islamists.

The Shabaab vowed revenge, carrying out attacks, including one on Nairobi's Westgate mall in September 2013 in which at least 67 people were killed.

Last month one of the Shebab's most senior commanders, Fuad Mohamed Khalaf, released radio broadcasts urging fighters to rise up against Nairobi.

Hundreds of British tourists were also evacuated last month from beach resorts near Kenya's port city of Mombasa following new warnings of terror attacks from Britain's Foreign Office.

Britain this week released warnings to citizens in several East African nations -- including Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda, who all have troops in Somalia -- speaking of the threat of attacks at public screenings of the World Cup.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
The United States is mulling whether or not to place North Korea back onto its list of state sponsors of terrorism, President Barack Obama said Sunday....
‘Help students choose careers of their interest’
Inadequate counseling and career guidance services in schools has been pointed out as a big problem hindering learners from pursuing their careers....
Real Madrid win Club World Cup in Morocco
Real Madrid defeated San Lorenzo of Argentina 2-0 on Saturday to win the Club World Cup and secure their fourth trophy of 2014....
Bayern
Bayern Munich will start 2015 with a record 11-point lead in the Bundesliga, sparking debate over how to stop Germany's top flight becoming boring....
North Korea seeks joint probe into Sony hack
North Korea on Saturday called for a joint investigation with the United States into a crippling cyber attack on Sony Pictures, claiming it had means to prove Pyongyang had nothing to do with it....
Obama to N. Korea over Sony hack:
US President Barack Obama has warned North Korea it would face retaliation for a crippling cyber attack on Sony Pictures over an irreverent film comedy that infuriated Pyongyang....
Do you agree with the ban on the export of maids?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter