World
Man jailed for filming policemen stealingPublish Date: Jun 11, 2014
Man jailed for filming policemen stealing
  • mail
  • img
Algerian security forces clash with residents of Ghardaia following sectarian violence on March 18, 2014. PHOTO/AFP
newvision

ALGIERS - Algeria has jailed a man for two years for posting a video of policemen stealing in the desert region of Ghardaia, during ethnic violence that erupted late last year.

Youcef Ouled Dada was found guilty of "publishing photographs and videos which harm the national interest" and "contempt of the authorities".

The 47-year-old was also ordered to pay a fine of 100,000 dinars ($1,250, 930 euros), one of his lawyers, Amine Sidhoum, told AFP, adding he would appeal.

Prosecutors had sought three years for Dada, a computer technician and member of the Berber Mozabite community in the ethnically divided Ghardaia region who has been detained since March.

Another of his lawyers, Abderahmane Saleh, said Dada was accused of filming "three policeman as they were stealing in Grara" municipality "taking advantage of the riots" that broke out in December.

Dada denies making the video or posting it on the Internet, insisting he only shared it on Facebook.

Ghardaia has been the scene of sectarian violence between the region's indigenous Mozabites and the Arabs, known as Chaambas, that have killed at least nine people and wounded more than 400 in the past six months.

 


In a bid to restore order, some 10,000 police were deployed in March around the main streets of Ghardaia, the regional capital, which lies about 600 kilometres (370 miles) south of Algiers.

Sidhoum, one of Dada's lawyers, called Tuesday's ruling "harsh" and said it would do nothing to calm the situation.

"In this trial, instead of investigating the reality of the facts, the person being denounced is prosecuted," he said.

Ghardaia's two communities have lived together for centuries, but tensions spiked when vandals destroyed a historic Berber shrine in late December.

Hundreds of houses and shops in the city, which is a UNESCO world heritage site, were also burned down in the unrest.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Obama, Central American leaders meet on child migrants
President Barack Obama meets Friday with three Central American leaders to try to get control of an humanitarian crisis triggered by a tide of child migrants crossing the southern US border....
More than 50 UK Catholic priests defrocked for sex abuse
More than 50 Roman Catholic priests in England and Wales have been defrocked for sex abuse since 2001, the Church's child protection watchdog revealed...
West Africa Ebola death toll
The death toll in West Africa's Ebola outbreak has risen to 660, with the number of cases surpassing 1,000, says WHO....
First images emerge of Air Algerie crash site
The first images of the Air Algerie crash site in Mali emerged Friday, showing a stark terrain littered with bits of a plane that appears to have been pulverised on impact....
Tourist shot dead in Kenya was German
KENYAN police said Friday a female tourist shot dead in the coastal city of Mombasa was from Germany, the second such killing of a foreign visitor by gunmen there this month...
Al Shabaab commanders killed in AU offensive
AFRICAN Union troops in Somalia said they had killed two "senior" commanders of the Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab insurgents, in the latest push...
Should government review powers of kings?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter