World
Ailing Zuma misses first meeting of new cabinet
Publish Date: Jun 10, 2014
Ailing Zuma misses first meeting of new cabinet
President Jacob Zuma spent time in hospital over the weekend suffering from exhaustion. FILE PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

JOHANNESBURG - South Africa's President Jacob Zuma, who spent time in hospital over the weekend suffering from exhaustion, will miss his new government's first meeting from Tuesday, Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa said.

"President Zuma will miss the cabinet meeting and continue to rest at home this week," said Ramaphosa, who is standing in for Zuma during his recuperation.

Zuma left hospital late Sunday, the day after he was admitted for routine tests.

The 72-year-old leader checked into hospital on Saturday after officials from his party had asked him on Friday to take a break because "the punishing election programme was taking its toll, not on him only, (but) on many of us," African National Congress secretary general Gwede Mantashe had said earlier.


President Zuma was sworn in for a second term in office last month. PHOTO/AFP

Zuma was sworn in for a second term two weeks ago after his ANC party won the May 7 elections with an overwhelming 62 percent of the vote.

His office said the president has two "major" routine medical examinations each year -- in January and in June.

"This time round, the doctors felt he needed to be hospitalised for a thorough check up following a demanding schedule," said the presidency.

Earlier Bongi Ngema-Zuma, one of the president's four wives, had told reporters that he was "doing very well" and "just needed time to rest".

Zuma's office said he had already met with all his new ministers and deputy ministers in May to go over the policy priorities and his expectations of them.

The cabinet talks will continue through Thursday.

AFP


Also related to this story

Zuma sworn in for second term as SA president
   
SA's Zuma dedicates election win to Mandela

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
North Korea seeks joint probe into Sony hack
North Korea on Saturday called for a joint investigation with the United States into a crippling cyber attack on Sony Pictures, claiming it had means to prove Pyongyang had nothing to do with it....
Two men burnt alive in DRC after attack
Two men are burnt alive by civilians in the DR Congo''s volatile east after they attacked a military office....
Obama to N. Korea over Sony hack:
US President Barack Obama has warned North Korea it would face retaliation for a crippling cyber attack on Sony Pictures over an irreverent film comedy that infuriated Pyongyang....
N. Korea denies involvement in Sony cyber attack
North Korea's UN mission denies involvement in a cyber attack on Sony Pictures after the US FBI said it had evidence that Pyongyang was behind the hacking....
Vatican shuts down scrollmakers
The Vatican cracks down on the business amid reports of fake parchments being peddled to unwitting tourists for pricey sums....
Boko Haram
Boko Haram has kidnapped at least 185 people, including women and children, in northeast Nigeria, the latest mass abduction in a region where the military has repeatedly struggled to protect civilians, officials and witnesses said Thursday....
Do you agree with the ban on the export of maids?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter