World
62 African migrants drown in boat tragedy
Publish Date: Jun 07, 2014
62 African migrants drown in boat tragedy
Migrants on boats being arrested and rescued by the Italian army off the coast of Sicily on Friday. The Italian navy on June 6 said it had rescued around 2,500 asylum-seekers from 17 boats in the past 24 hours as good weather conditions in the Mediterranean further boost the influx of asylum-seekers trying to reach Europe. PHOTO/AFP/Italian navy
  • mail
  • img
newvision

GENEVA - Sixty migrants from Ethiopia and Somalia along with two Yemeni crew members drowned on May 31 in the worst such tragedy off the coast of Yemen this year, the UN said Friday.

"The tragedy is the largest single loss of life of migrants and refugees attempting to reach Yemen via the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden this year," Adrian Edwards, spokesman for the refugee agency UNHCR, told reporters in Geneva.

The UN agency said it was still seeking information about the tragedy, but had confirmed that the boat carrying 60 Ethiopian and Somali migrants and two Yemeni crew members sank last Saturday.

"The victims were reportedly buried by local residents after their bodies washed ashore near the Bab El Mandeb area off Yemen's coast," Edwards said, adding that the UNHCR did not know where the boat begun it journey.

In Sanaa, a Yemeni employee of the UNHCR said the boat went down because of bad weather conditions off Dhubab, at the entrance to the Bab El Mandeb waterway between the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea.

"Most of the victims are of Ethiopian nationality," he said, quoting a local NGO, the Society for Humanitarian Solidarity.

The UNHCR pointed out that counting previous such tragedies in the same area, at least 121 people have died so far this year trying to reach Yemen.

The agency said it had documented the arrival of 16,500 refugees and migrants on the Yemeni coast during the first four months of 2014 alone.

That number, however, was far below the 35,000 who arrived in Yemen during the same period last year.


A Libyan army soldier stands guard as men and boys, part of some 180 illegal migrants who were arrested by army integrated rebel fighters, sit at the brigade's headquarters on June 1, 2014 in the coastal town of Zawiya, west of Tripoli. PHOTO/AFP

Impoverished Yemen is mainly used as a transit country, with African migrants often aiming to move on to neighbouring oil-rich Gulf nations to find work.

'Alarming loss of life"

Edwards told AFP the drop in arrivals in Yemen appeared linked, among other things, to a shift in migration patterns towards North Africa and Libya because of unrest in Yemen and a crackdown in Saudi Arabia on illegal migration.

"Over the past five years, more than half a million people, mainly Somalis, Ethiopians and Eritreans, have crossed the dangerous waters of the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea to reach Yemen," he said.

"Boats are overcrowded and smugglers have reportedly thrown passengers overboard to prevent capsizing or avoid detection," he added, pointing out that search-and-rescue officials estimate this has resulted in hundreds of undocumented deaths in recent years.

Yemen has taken in up to two million refugees, mostly illegal migrants, according to unofficial estimates in Sanaa.

"Each refugee costs the Yemeni state an average of around 2,300 dollars a year," researcher Mustapha Nasr, who runs a Sanaa-based economic data centre, told AFP.


These migrants were arrested as they were in a truck, planning to take a boat to reach Italy. PHOTO/AFP

Thousands of migrants, many trying to reach Europe, have died in other tragedies at sea in recent years.

UNHCR said Friday it was "working to prevent the alarming loss of life at sea and indifference to people desperately needing protection."

"We are reiterating our call for governments in the region to strengthen their search-and-rescue capacities," Edwards said.

On Friday, a Tunisian official said the coast guard had intercepted a boat off Zarzis, in southern Tunisia, loaded with more than 200 migrants who left from Libya hoping to cross the Mediterranean to reach Europe.

The migrants -- including 104 Nigerians, 23 Senegalese and 16 Tunisians -- were taken to Zarzis port on Thursday, Mongi Slim of the Tunisian Red Crescent told AFP.

In northern Morocco, meanwhile, 94 migrants were arrested on the coast near Tangiers on Friday as they tried to board inflatable boats to cross to Spain, the official news agency MAP reported.

AFP


Also related to this story

60 feared dead as Ugandan boat capsizes on Lake Albert
   
107 bodies recovered from Lake Albert boat disaster

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Thousands of women march for peace in Congo
Thousands of women staged a march for peace in the Republic of Congo's capital Brazzaville Sunday as pressure builds over mooted constitutional changes that would pave the way for the president to extend his hold on power....
Kuwaiti authorities are closely monitoring several relatives of "Jihadi John" who live and work in the Gulf emirate where the Islamic State executioner was born, press reports said on Sunday....
Sick girl, 14, asks to be allowed to die
Chile''s President Michelle Bachelet visits a 14-year-old girl suffering from cystic fibrosis who appealed to be allowed to end her life....
Obama condemns Russian opposition leader
Obama condemned what he called the "brutal" and "vicious" murder of Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov....
Russian opposition leader Nemtsov
The murder of Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov was carefully planned, investigators said Saturday, pointing to details of the weapon used and the killers' knowledge of his movements....
North Korean leader tells army:
North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un has urged his army to prepare for war with the United States and its allies, state media said Saturday, as Pyongyang ramps up the rhetoric ahead of US-South Korea military drills....
Do you think government is doing enough to contain the typhoid out break?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter