Sport
Liverpool agree deal to sign Rickie Lambert from Southampton
Publish Date: May 30, 2014
Liverpool agree deal to sign Rickie Lambert from Southampton
Rickie Lambert
  • mail
  • img
newvision


Liverpool has agreed deal to sign Rickie Lambert from Southampton on 2-yr contract, BBC reported Friday.


AFP reported Thursday that Liverpool were close to signing England striker Rickie Lambert from Southampton.

Reds manager Brendan Rodgers is said to have made an offer of £4 million ($6.6 million, 4.9 million euros) plus add-ons for Lambert and the BBC says talks are continuing to seal the deal after the initial bid was rejected.

The surprise move comes as Lambert prepares for England's World Cup warm-up against Peru at Wembley on Friday.

Once his England duties are completed, the Daily Mail reports Lambert could undergo a medical on Saturday with a view to sealing the transfer before he jets off with the England squad for their pre-World Cup training camp in Miami.

It would be a dream move for Liverpool-born Lambert, who supported the club as a child and was a member of the Reds' youth academy for five years before being released as a 15-year-old.

The 32-year-old, who worked in a beetroot factory before his professional career finally got going, spent much of his career in the lower leagues of English football with the likes of Rochdale, Stockport and Bristol Rovers before finally hitting the big time with Southampton following their promotion to the Premier League.

He scored 14 goals in 39 games this season and has 117 in 235 appearances since joining Southampton in 2009.

Lambert's potent combination of height, strength and clinical finishing would make him an intriguing addition to Rodgers' squad, which noticeably lacked quality cover for first-choice strikers Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge this season.

While Suarez and Sturridge nearly fired Liverpool to the Premier League title, the Reds often looked toothless when their star strikers were held in check and Lambert would be an ideal remedy to that problem.



 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Women Football League set to start in February
Twelve teams have so far confirmed their participation in the FUFA National Women’s Football League....
Mbidde rules out giving up roles at NCS, FUFA
Denis Mbidde has ruled out relinquishing any of his roles in the National Council of Sports (NCS) and the football governing body FUFA....
MTN Marathon: Rogue competitors to be kicked out
The Uganda Athletics Federation will put more emphasis on locking out cheats from the MTN Kampala Marathon after discovering that some runners, mostly in the 10km and corporate race events, cheated on Sunday....
George Nsimbe says bye to KCCA
Outgoing KCCA FC coach George Nsimbe has asked the players and fans to have faith and confidence in the technical team he is leaving behind and support them to handle the club....
Sony to end FIFA sponsorship contract
Sony has decided not to renew a multi-million-dollar sponsorship contract with FIFA, reports said Tuesday, as the money-losing firm undergoes a painful restructuring and football's governing remains embroiled in controversy....
New security measures in place for EA University games
Participants have been guaranteed of security as they prepare for the upcoming Eastern Africa University Games scheduled for December 17-21 at Uganda Christian University (UCU) in Mukono....
Should Govt lease parts of Lake Victoria to private developers?
Its Ok
No Way
Not Sure
follow us
subscribe to our news letter