World
Diver dies at S.Korea ferry disaster site
Publish Date: May 30, 2014
Diver dies at S.Korea ferry disaster site
Dive crews search for survivors of South Korea ferry disaster. Two divers have been killed in the operation.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

SEOUL - A South Korean diver died Friday during efforts to cut a new access hole into a submerged ferry that sank last month with the loss of around 300 lives, the coastguard said.

The 46-year-old diver, identified only as Kim, was pulled from the water unconscious and bleeding from his face, a coastguard official said.

He was later pronounced dead in hospital, but the precise cause of death was not immediately clear, the official said.

He was the second diver killed in the operation to retrieve hundreds of bodies from the 6,825-tonne Sewol ferry, which sank on April 16 off the southern coast.


Most of the people on the sunken ferry were schoolchildren. PHOTO/AFP
 


Relatives of those on the ill-fated vessel hoped for any news from the rescue operation. PHOTO/AFP/Getty Images

The Sewol was carrying 476 people -- most of them schoolchildren.

No bodies have been recovered since May 21, leaving the confirmed death toll at 288, with 16 still unaccounted for.

Divers have had to battle strong currents and work in near-zero visibility. Two dozen have been treated for injuries and decompression sickness.

AFP


Also related to this story

Students on ill-fated ferry joked about 'the Titanic'

S. Korean PM resigns over ferry disaster

President apologises for ferry disaster

Ferry crew could face murder charges

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Paralysed man walks again after breakthrough treatment
A paralysed man can walk again after receiving revolutionary treatment which one of the British scientists responsible hailed as a breakthrough "more impressive than a man walking on the Moon" - although others urged caution....
Pistorius to learn sentence for killing girlfriend
SOUTH African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius today learns his sentence for shooting dead his girlfriend on Valentine's Day last year...
Warring S.Sudan leaders accept
SOUTH Sudan President Salva Kiir and his arch-rival rebel chief Riek Machar have accepted mutual responsibility for a 10-month civil war...
US drone crashes at Niger airport
A US drone crash-landed at Niger's main airport for unknown reasons on Monday, the US army said, forcing the closure of the runway for several hours....
Warring South Sudan rivals meet in Tanzania
WARRING South Sudanese factions were meeting Monday in Tanzania in the latest bid to end a 10-month civil war in which thousands of people have been killed...
WHO declares Nigeria Ebola-free
AFRICA''S most populous nation Nigeria has been declared officially Ebola free but warned that it remained vulnerable as long as the virus was raging elsewhere in west Africa...
Do Ugandan tycoons prepare their children to take over their business empires?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter