National
Somalia declares new war on al-Shabaab
Publish Date: May 27, 2014
Somalia declares new war on al-Shabaab
A Somali army soldier looks at African Union troops arriving in armoured vehicles during an attack on the Somali parliament in Mogadishu, on May 24, 2014. PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Taddeo Bwambale and agencies

Somali Prime Minister Abdiweli Sheikh Ahmed has declared ‘all-out war’ on al-Shabaab as AMISOM warned of more attacks by the al Qaeda-linked group in the country.

“I order the Somali National Army to ‘move now’ to eliminate the enemy wherever they are in the country. We must eradicate this enemy from our country,” Abdiweli said at a press briefing.

“We cannot tolerate that the enemy carries out such attacks on our people — we must all take part in the war,” the prime minister emphasized, urging the Somali people to help the army eliminate what he termed as the invading ‘enemy’.

Abdirahman Mahamed Turyare, the Somali High Military Court chairman, yesterday said every al Shabaab member will receive the death penalty and be shot dead when seized without postponement.

Turyare, who was appointed as the court’s chairman last week, said: “Al-Shabaab will not be released if seized. The Somali High Military Court will instantly sentence them to death. I request the security department to inform the court if they seize al-Shabaab members.”

“Al-Shabaab is an enemy and will be punished. I am informing al-Shabaab that they will meet the consequence of their acts if they fail to surrender,” he announced.

Turyare’s declaration came amidst further terrorist attacks. AMISOM spokesperson Ali Adan Xumad warned that the terrorist group was planning more attacks on key government installations.

Ten people were killed when al-Shabaab attacked Somalia’s Parliament where over 100 MPs were attending a session on Saturday.


A family member visits a wounded Somali army soldier as he receives treatment at the Madina hospital in Mogadishu, Somalia, on Sunday. PHOTO/AFP

Three Ugandan AMISOM peacekeepers died during the fierce fight in which 13 militants were gunned down by a joint force of combined force of the Somali National Army (SNA) and AMISOM. Four Somali soldiers and a police officer were also killed.

Maj. Deo Akiiki Asiimwe, the spokesman of Uganda’s contingent, yesterday said the condition of the injured soldiers was improving.

“They are in a stable condition and out of danger,” Akiiki said, adding that the situation in the area was under control. He, however, declined to give particulars of the deceased or reveal the funeral plans.

The director of Medina Hospital, Dr. Mohamed Yusuf, said most of those admitted at the hospital were suffering from minor injuries except two individuals who need further treatment.

Also related to this story

Three Ugandan peacekeepers killed during Somalia attack

Somalia security chief resigns after attack

New AMISOM airstrikes target Al Shabaab in Somalia

Uganda changes troops in Somalia

Somalia worst place to be a mother: charity

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Poor parliamentary debates blamed on removal of school debates
The assistant commissioner for youth and children affairs, Kyateka Mondo, has attributed the increasing poor debating on issues in parliament to the removal of debates in schools...
Another Catholic priest dies, laid to rest
A Catholic priest, Fr. Emmanuel Mboggo Nsubuga, 76, who succumbed to prostate cancer on Saturday was buried Monday at. St Joseph’s Catholic Parish, Lweza where he had served four years...
Long serving prisoners granted special status
In a bid to motivate them for their exemplary discipline and generous services they offer, the Commissioner General of Prisons, Dr Johnson Byabashaija, has granted special status to over 20 inmates...
DPP withdraws treason charges against 25 people
The Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Mike Chibita has withdrawn treason charges against 25 people, after failing to adduce evidence pinning them to the crime...
Police hunt for Maj. Mutale, Lukwago militias
The Police have embarked on a hunt of militias who appear in two separate video footage in which the Presidential Advisor on Political Affairs, Maj. Kakooza Mutale, and Kampala Lord Mayor, Erias Lukwago aimed to breach the law as they embark on political mobilization ahead of the 2016 general elect...
Women have equal rights on land ownership, says govt
Women will continue to suffer from land conflicts out of lack of knowledge of the issues pertaining to land ownership, an official at the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development has said....
Do you support KCCA'S move to ban campaign posters from the city?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter