World
Security Council 'outraged' by attack on Somali parliament
Publish Date: May 25, 2014
Security Council 'outraged' by attack on Somali parliament
Somali security forces take position on May 24, 2014 in Mogadishu after Somalias Shebab rebels launched a major attack on the national parliament, setting off a car bomb and penetrating the building with suicide commandos. PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations Security Council expressed "outrage" after Shebab rebels launched an attack on the Somali parliament that left at least 10 people dead on Saturday.

Security sources in the country said the "complex attack" involving bombs and gunmen with suicide vests was finally brought to an end after more than four hours by Somali security forces and African Union troops.

The 15 Security Council members said they were "outraged that al-Shebab has attacked the federal parliament, an institution which represents the Somali people and their legitimate hopes for peace, prosperity and stability."

The deadly assault and "other senseless acts of terrorism would not diminish" their support for the African Union's AMISOM mission and other actors supporting peace in Somalia, they said.

UN chief Ban Ki-moon also condemned the attack, expressing "solidarity and support" for lawmakers.

"There can be no justification for such attacks," he said.

No overall death toll was immediately given but a police official and government source said 10 people, including several attackers, were confirmed dead.

Local media reports said as many as 20 people may have been killed, including eight attackers.

A spokesman for the Shebab confirmed the group was responsible.

AFP


Also related to this story

Somalia security chief resigns after attack

Pangani: Another terror attack in Kenya

Ten dead, more than 70 wounded in Nairobi blasts

US to cut Nairobi embassy staff over terror threats


Al Shabaab claims attack on Kenya army convoy

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Drugmakers to join forces to make millions of Ebola vaccine doses
Leading drugmakers plan to work together to speed up the development of an Ebola vaccine and hope to produce millions of doses for use next year....
Rwanda imposes Ebola checks on US travellers
RWANDA has boosted travel restrictions to stem the spread of the Ebola virus, ordering travellers who have been in the United States and Spain to send daily updates...
Bashir to run for re-election
SUDANESE President Omar al-Bashir - in power since a 1989 coup - will stand for re-election in 2015 after being retained Tuesday as leader of the ruling National Congress Party...
Paralysed man walks again after breakthrough treatment
A paralysed man can walk again after receiving revolutionary treatment which one of the British scientists responsible hailed as a breakthrough "more impressive than a man walking on the Moon" - although others urged caution....
Pistorius to learn sentence for killing girlfriend
SOUTH African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius today learns his sentence for shooting dead his girlfriend on Valentine's Day last year...
Warring S.Sudan leaders accept
SOUTH Sudan President Salva Kiir and his arch-rival rebel chief Riek Machar have accepted mutual responsibility for a 10-month civil war...
Was Oscar Pistorius' 5 year sentence fair and just?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter