World
Somalia security chief resigns after attackPublish Date: May 25, 2014
Somalia security chief resigns after attack
  • mail
  • img
A wounded Somali MP, Farah Awad Jama (R), speaks with other MPs as he receives treatment at the Madina hospital in Mogadishu, Somalia, on Sunday. PHOTO/AFP
newvision

MOGADISHU - Somalia's national security minister has resigned in the wake of a brazen attack by Shebab militants on the country's parliament, officials said Sunday.

The resignation came hours after the Al-Qaeda-linked militants set off powerful car bombs outside the gates of the parliament and a group of fighters armed with explosive vests, grenades and machine guns stormed in while scores of MPs were meeting.

Abdikarim Hussein Guled had already come in for mounting criticism over a spate of high profile Shebab attacks inside Mogadishu in recent months, including against heavily-guarded sites including the presidential palace and airport.

"You are aware of the cowardly attack that the violent elements carried out on the parliament. I extend my condolences to the families of the deceased. Considering the current situation of the country, I officially hereby announce my resignation," Guled told reporters late Saturday.

No official death toll was given after the attack but police said eight attackers were killed, and AFP reporters at the scene also counted four dead security guards.

Four MPs were also wounded in the attack, hospital officials said.


African Union troops (who include Ugandan troops) arrive in an armoured vehicle during an attack on the Somali parliament in Mogadishu, on Saturday. PHOTO/AFP


A Somali army soldier runs for cover during an attack on the Somali parliament in Mogadishu. PHOTO/AFP

The Shebab were pushed out of fixed positions in Mogadishu, the capital and seat of the country's internationally-backed government, by African Union troops but have continued to strike inside the city.

Recent Shebab attacks have targeted key areas of government, or the security forces, in an apparent bid to discredit claims by the authorities that they are winning the war against the Islamist fighters.

The Shebab claimed responsibility for the assault, describing the parliament as a "military zone" and saying it was a "holy operation".

AU troops launched a fresh offensive in March against Shebab bases, and although they seized a series of towns, the insurgents are thought to have fled in advance and suffered few casualties.

AFP

Also related to this story

Security Council 'outraged' by attack on Somali parliament

IGAD regional heads meet in South Africa

Pangani: Another terror attack in Kenya

Ten dead, more than 70 wounded in Nairobi blasts

US to cut Nairobi embassy staff over terror threats


Al Shabaab claims attack on Kenya army convoy


Somalia government makes gains but Shebab defiant

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Hundreds of thousands need food aid in Somali capital: UN
Over 350,000 people in Somalia's war-ravaged capital are in acute need of food aid as government and charities struggle to cope, the UN warned Saturday, with other cities also in crisis....
Obama, Central American leaders meet on child migrants
President Barack Obama meets Friday with three Central American leaders to try to get control of an humanitarian crisis triggered by a tide of child migrants crossing the southern US border....
More than 50 UK Catholic priests defrocked for sex abuse
More than 50 Roman Catholic priests in England and Wales have been defrocked for sex abuse since 2001, the Church's child protection watchdog revealed...
West Africa Ebola death toll
The death toll in West Africa's Ebola outbreak has risen to 660, with the number of cases surpassing 1,000, says WHO....
First images emerge of Air Algerie crash site
The first images of the Air Algerie crash site in Mali emerged Friday, showing a stark terrain littered with bits of a plane that appears to have been pulverised on impact....
Tourist shot dead in Kenya was German
KENYAN police said Friday a female tourist shot dead in the coastal city of Mombasa was from Germany, the second such killing of a foreign visitor by gunmen there this month...
Should government review powers of kings?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter