National
Obama offers $50 million to South Sudan refugees
Publish Date: May 20, 2014
Obama offers $50 million to South Sudan refugees
President Barack Obama
  • mail
  • img
newvision

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama announced Monday that the United States would offer an extra $50 million to help tackle a growing refugee crisis spawned by fighting in South Sudan.

The money will be sent to international and non-governmental organizations and be used to pay expenses of the State Department's Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration in the region, Obama said in a memorandum.

"Months of conflict between the government of South Sudan and rebel forces have exacted a terrible toll on the people of South Sudan," said National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden.

"More than 1.3 million people have been displaced, and the country is now at risk of famine unless humanitarian agencies are able to scale up relief efforts and access those in need."

Hayden said the $50 million in extra emergency aid would be part of a $300 million grant the US delegation will formally unveil at a pledging conference in Oslo on Tuesday and would bring total US humanitarian assistance since the start of the conflict in South Sudan last year to around $433.6 million.

South Sudanese women waiting in line for food distribution inside the UNMISS compound in Juba on February 24, 2014.  AFP PHOTO

The United Nations says $1.26 billion is needed in conflict-torn South Sudan to avoid a major humanitarian crisis threatening millions of people.

South Sudan became independent in 2011 after a bloody war between Sudan and the Sudan People's Liberation Movement (SPLM) rebel group currently in power.

The fledgling country was plunged back into an ethnic conflict between its two main groups the Dinka and Nuer following a dispute between President Salva Kiir and his former vice-president Riek Machar in July 2013.

Despite the signing of a peace agreement on May 9, hostilities have continued, resulting in massacres and atrocities against thousands of civilians from both sides.

RELATED ARTICLES

IGAD pushes for South Sudan Protection Force

9,000 child soldiers fighting in South Sudan war: UN

Oil fans flames of South Sudan war

Khartoum welcomes South Sudan peace deal

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Lawyer Sebalu’s property mediation case deferred
Mediation in the case where Pastor Peter Sematimba and Sebalu’s daughter, Themi Nakibuuka, are fighting for fallen city lawyer Paulo Sebalu’s multi-billion estate has been postponed...
Egypt offers Uganda environmental experts
The Egyptian government has offered Uganda a team of experts in modern water harvesting and deforestation in a move aimed at increasing domestic water supply and conservation of environment...
Katikkiro tips youth on fighting poverty
WITH the high unemployment in the country, Katikiro Charles Peter Mayiga has advised people to work in organized groups as the easiest way to develop and fight joblessness...
Kagezi murder: terror trial suspended
THE judiciary has suspended trial of the 13 terrors suspects of the July 2010 Kampala twin bombings following the murder of the lead prosecutor, Joan Kagezi...
Kagezi postmortem paralyzes city mortuary operations
People who lost their relatives will have to wait a little longer to pick bodies from the city mortuary until a postmortem for the slain state prosecutor, Joan Kagezi, is complete....
Kampala bombing trial stalls after prosecutor assassinated
A key trial in Uganda of 13 men accused of taking part in Al-Shebab bombings that killed 76 people in 2010 was postponed Tuesday after the top prosecutor was shot dead....
Should police arrest parents who do not take their children to school?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter