National
Al Shabaab claims attack on Kenya army convoy
Publish Date: May 20, 2014
Al Shabaab claims attack on Kenya army convoy
The attack comes just days after twin blasts claimed at least ten lives and wounded over 70 in a busy market took place in the Kenyan capital Nairobi, the latest in a wave of unrest blamed on Islamist militants. AFP Photo
  • mail
  • img
newvision

SOMALIA'S Al-Qaeda-linked Al Shabab said it had attacked an army convoy across the border in Kenya on Monday and killed several soldiers, but Kenya's army denied it suffered any casualties.

The convoy was attacked in the restive Mandera region of northeast Kenya near the Somali border, local police chief Noah Mwivanda said.

"Our officers responded and the suspected attackers ran away towards Somalia," he said, adding that "no one was killed or wounded."

Shebab spokesman Abdulaziz Abu Musab told AFP the gunmen had killed "all theKenyan soldiers" in a lorry as well as five police officers, and had then stolen two pickup trucks and taken them across the border to Somalia.

Kenya's army also denied any deaths and called the claim "propaganda."

The ambush is the latest in a wave of attacks in Kenya that authorities have blamed on militants connected to the Shebab.

On Friday a double bomb attack in a Nairobi market left 10 people dead and scores wounded.

Kenya has been targeted by the Shebab since sending troops to war-torn Somalia in 2011.2

Kenya has suffered a sustained wave of attacks from Al Shabaab recently including two explosions that hit two buses along Nairobi's Thika Road. AFP Photo

The group has vowed revenge, and claimed a deadly September 2013 attack on Nairobi's Westgate mall.

On Sunday warplanes thought to be from Kenya pounded Shebab bases in their stronghold of Jilib in southern Somalia.

The United States on Saturday said it was preparing to cut staff levels at its Nairobi embassy because of the mounting threat of attacks in Kenya by Islamist militants.

Earlier this week Britain, France and Australia also issued updated travel advice for their citizens in Kenya, following a string of grenade attacks.

Related stories

Kenya dismisses 'unfriendly' foreign travel warnings

Hundreds of British tourists evacuated from Kenya

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
CSOs want boda-boda riders to pay sh300,000  tax
In order to raise revenue for the government civil society organizations have proposed a tax slap in form of license fee on boda-boda riders to a tune of sh300, 000, per-annum...
Harriet Kisakye burial for Monday
Local female musician Harriet Kisakye who died at the International Hospital Kampala (IHK) on Saturday is to be buried at Bunamwaya Catholic Church on Monday...
Kumi woos residents with
Kumi district has introduced a strategy called moonlight testing which allows residents to test for HIV/ AIDS at night....
Police officer, two others shot dead in robbery
A police escort and two employees of Bidco Company were on Friday shot dead by unknown gun men who fled with an unspecified amount of money....
Musician Harriet Kisakye passes on
Local musician Harriet Kisakye dies at International Hospital Kampala (IHK) in Kisugu, Namuwongo after suffering an illness....
South Sudan opposition leader kept under
A South Sudanese opposition leader who has spoken out against both sides in the civil war said Saturday he was spending a second day under house arrest without any explanation from the government....
Do you support KCCA'S move to return city communter buses?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter