World
Brazil inmates free hostages after prison standoff
Publish Date: May 19, 2014
Brazil inmates free hostages after prison standoff
Handout picture released by Sergipe States Security Secretary Press Office showing relatives and police officers speaking to prisoners standing on a roof of the Advogado Jacinto Filho de Aracaju prison. AFP Photo
  • mail
  • img
newvision

INMATES at a maximum-security prison in northeast Brazil, who had taken four guards and more than 100 visiting relatives hostage during a riot, released all the captives Sunday, officials said.

Negotiators secured the remaining hostages' release just hours after first persuading prisoners to give up one of the guards they had seized in the riot, which broke out Saturday at the end of visiting hours at the Advogado Jacinto Filho prison in Aracaju, the capital of Sergipe state.

"The rebellion is over. The guards and all the prisoners' relatives who were inside have been freed," Marinho Tibas, a spokesman for the state justice department, told AFP.

He said 127 visiting family members, including 15 children, had been held hostage, raising an earlier count of 118 relatives.

"Everything is returning to normal," Tibas said, calling the negotiations intense but "calm."

The freed hostages have undergone medical checks, he said.

Media reports said the first guard to be freed was wounded.

During the riot, inmates also killed a police dog used to search for contraband, officials said.

Under the deal reached with the hostage-takers, 16 inmates will be transferred to other prisons, officials said.

The rioters were recently sentenced inmates who had been temporarily jailed at the facility and were demanding to be transferred.

As a maximum-security prison, the facility does not allow food from outside, strictly limits outdoors time and prohibits cell phones.

The riot broke out 26 days before the opening match of the World Cup in Brazil, which has faced protests over the more than $11 billion being spent on the tournament and a series of strikes that threaten to disrupt it, including by police.

No World Cup games will be played in Sergipe, however.

The riot erupted in one of the prison's four wings and involved 123 prisoners, officials said. Talks to free the hostages began Saturday but broke off overnight.

The negotiation were led by a military police captain, said Sandra Melo, a lawyer for Reviver, a private firm that co-manages the prison with Sergipe state. She said a judge and representatives of the state human rights commission were are also present at the prisoners' request.

The prison holds 476 inmates and has not faced complaints of overcrowding.

Police contained the riot before it could spread to the prison's other three wings, reports said.

The head of military police in the state, Mauricio Iunes, told the G1 news website Saturday that the four prison guards had been "threatened" but that officials never believed the prisoners would hurt their own relatives.

A similar riot broke out two years ago at the same prison and was resolved after 26 hours.

In Brazil there are currently 548,000 people in prison -- and a need for 207,000 more spots to prevent overcrowding, according to Conectas, an organization specializing in inmate rights.

Late last month, six prisoners died and six were wounded in a riot at a prison in the state of Bahia, which borders Sergipe to the south.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
South Africa attacks spark anger abroad
COUNTRIES neighbouring South Africa prepared to evacuate their citizens from South Africa as the UN raised the alarm over deadly xenophobic attacks...
Ebola-hit countries call for $8 bn aid plan
THE three West African countries hit hardest by the Ebola epidemic called for an $8 billion "Marshall Plan" to help rebuild their economies and boost prevention efforts...
UN envoys hear graphic accounts of Syria chemical attacks
The UN Security Council on Thursday heard graphic first-hand accounts from Syrian doctors of deadly chemical weapons attacks in their country, vowing it will take action against those responsible....
Death toll from DRC machete attack hits 19
NINETEEN people, including a pregnant woman, were killed in a machete attack in a region of the Democratic Republic of Congo that has been repeatedly attacked by Ugandan rebels...
Muslim-majority Indonesia cracks down on alcohol sales
Indonesia on Thursday banned small retailers from selling beer, despite an outcry from the booze industry and in tourism hotspots over the Muslim-majority country''s latest offensive against drinking....
Obama to remove Cuba from terror blacklist
President Barack Obama is set to remove Cuba from a list of state sponsors of terrorism, in a landmark step paving the way towards restoring ties frozen for five decades....
Should African countries expel South Africans?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter