National
US condemns Kenya attacks
Publish Date: May 17, 2014
US condemns Kenya attacks
A photo taken on May 16, 2014 shows the scene of an explosion on the outskirts of Nairobis business district where twin blasts claimed at least ten lives. Ten people were killed and over 70 wounded when two bomb attacks in a busy market took place in the Kenyan capital Nairobi, the latest in a wave of unrest blamed on Islamist militants. AFP PHOTO
  • mail
  • img
newvision

WASHINGTON - The United States on Friday condemned twin bomb attacks in the Kenyan capital Nairobi blamed on Islamic militants that killed at least 10 people and wounded more than 70 others.

"The United States condemns today's despicable terrorist attacks," said National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden.

"This is the latest in a series of cowardly attacks on innocent civilians in Kenya," she said, offering thoughts and prayers to the families of the victims.

"As we have for half a century, the United States stands with our Kenyan friends and partners who continue to face adversity with courage and resolve," Hayden added.

"We support them in their efforts to confront terrorism in all of its forms."

Kenya's National Disaster Operation Center said the first blast occurred next to a 14-seater public minibus while the second was inside a shop in a market close to Nairobi's central business district.

Earlier this month, three people were killed and 86 wounded in twin bus blasts in Nairobi blamed on Islamic militant cells connected with Somalia's Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab rebels. The previous day, twin attacks left four dead in Mombasa.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Ugandans lose billions in bribes – study
The average value of a bribe paid by Ugandans in rural and urban areas is sh127, 000, according to findings of the 2013 national governance baseline survey....
Muhakanizi apologizes over corruption
THE secretary to the treasury, Keith Muhakanizi, has apologized to Ugandan tax payers for the billions of money lost through corruption in government...
Museveni passes out 525 NRM cadres
President Yoweri Museveni passed out the team during a colourful occasion. Not even the heavy down pour could dampen the spirits of the enthusiastic youth...
Homeless people to be counted - UBOS
According to the UBOS executive director, Dr. Ben Mungyereza, there are special teams that have been constituted to count 'homeless' individuals...
Census exercise registers early success in Mukono
SEVERAL residents however expressed mixed opinions on the exercise with some wondering whether it will bring an end to the perennial drug shortage in health units...
HIV prevalence high in Police
THE USAID deputy Mission Director Mark Meassick has expressed concern over the high HIV/AIDS prevalence in the police force...
Do you think the National Census positively contributes to improved Livelihood in Uganda?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter