National
UN peacekeepers 'should use force more often': report
Publish Date: May 17, 2014
UN peacekeepers 'should use force more often': report
A UN peacekeeper in DRC
  • mail
  • img
newvision

UNITED NATIONS - United Nations peacekeepers should use force more frequently to protect civilians under attack but often fail to do so because they are afraid of court action, an internal report said.

The evaluation by the UN's Office of Internal Oversight Services noted a reluctance to deploy force -- even when it had been authorized by the United Nations Security Council.

A perceived lack of staff or equipment, and the threat of being court-martialed or prosecuted before the International Criminal Court, were among factors preventing peacekeepers using force in hot spots including South Sudan.

Of 507 incidents involving civilians between 2010 and 2013, only 20 percent "were reported to have attracted an immediate mission response," the report said.

"In cases where response was reported, missions almost never used force, even as a last resort."

Responding to the report, UN peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous said there needed to be more focus on "comprehensive political solutions."

"We also regret that the study did not highlight the central role host nations play in the protection of civilians," he added.

The report, dated March, was presented this week to a UN General Assembly committee charged with overseeing the organization's budget.

The report is based on evaluation of eight of 10 UN peacekeeping missions charged with protecting civilians, including those in the Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, Haiti, and the joint UN-African Union mission in Darfur.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Kagezi postmortem paralyzes city mortuary operations
People who lost their relatives will have to wait a little longer to pick bodies from the city mortuary until a postmortem for the slain state prosecutor, Joan Kagezi, is complete....
Kampala bombing trial stalls after prosecutor assassinated
A key trial in Uganda of 13 men accused of taking part in Al-Shebab bombings that killed 76 people in 2010 was postponed Tuesday after the top prosecutor was shot dead....
Land grabbing: Judiciary told to protect widows
The criminal justice system in country has got to do more to protect vulnerable widows who have their property grabbed after the death of their husbands, the Director of Public Prosecution Mike Chibita has said....
Gov’t vows to arrest terrorism prosecutor killers
The Government has vowed to arrest the killers of Assistant Director of Public Prosecution Joan Kagezi who was shot dead on Monday evening as she returned back to her home in Kiwatule, a Kampala suburb....
Terrorism prosecutor burial for Thursday
The burial arrangement for the slain assistant Director of Public Prosecution, Joan Kagezi, is out.According to Uganda Funeral Service, the body will be delivered at her home in Najera at 3pm today (Tuesday)....
Kagezi murder open war on the judiciary - DPP
The Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Mike Chibita, has visited the crime scene where his assistant Joan Kagezi was assassinated from....
Should police arrest parents who do not take their children to school?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter