World
'President says no prisoner swap for Nigerian missing girls'
Publish Date: May 15, 2014
'President says no prisoner swap for Nigerian missing girls'
Demonstrators protest in front of the Embassy of Nigeria in Washington, DC over what they call inaction of Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan in the handling of the mass abduction of more than 200 schoolgirls by Boko Haram extremists. PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

ABUJA - Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan has ruled out freeing Boko Haram prisoners in exchange for the release of more than 200 kidnapped schoolgirls, British minister Mark Simmonds has said.

Africa minister Simmonds, in Nigeria for talks about the international rescue mission, said he raised the issue with Jonathan during a meeting in Abuja.

"I did discuss this with the president and he made it very clear that there will be no negotiation with Boko Haram that involves a swap of abducted schoolgirls for prisoners," he told reporters in the country's capital.

Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau suggested in a video released on Monday that he may be prepared to release the girls if Nigeria freed militant fighters held in the country's jails.

Interior Minister Abba Moro immediately rejected the plan, telling AFP that the group, which has waged an increasingly deadly insurgency in northeast Nigeria since 2009, could not dictate terms.

Nigeria's has stated that it is ready to talk to the militants about ending the violence and special duties minister Taminu Turaki indicated on Tuesday that the girls could be one issue discussed.

But while Simmonds indicated that Jonathan has now ruled that out, he was still prepared to fulfil his pledge of talking to the extremists about wider issues to end the violence.

"The point that was also made very clear to me is that the president was keen to continue and facilitate ongoing dialogue to find a structure and architecture of delivering lasting solution to the conflict and the cause of the conflict in northern Nigeria," he added.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Paralysed man walks again after breakthrough treatment
A paralysed man can walk again after receiving revolutionary treatment which one of the British scientists responsible hailed as a breakthrough "more impressive than a man walking on the Moon" - although others urged caution....
Pistorius to learn sentence for killing girlfriend
SOUTH African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius today learns his sentence for shooting dead his girlfriend on Valentine's Day last year...
Warring S.Sudan leaders accept
SOUTH Sudan President Salva Kiir and his arch-rival rebel chief Riek Machar have accepted mutual responsibility for a 10-month civil war...
US drone crashes at Niger airport
A US drone crash-landed at Niger's main airport for unknown reasons on Monday, the US army said, forcing the closure of the runway for several hours....
Warring South Sudan rivals meet in Tanzania
WARRING South Sudanese factions were meeting Monday in Tanzania in the latest bid to end a 10-month civil war in which thousands of people have been killed...
WHO declares Nigeria Ebola-free
AFRICA''S most populous nation Nigeria has been declared officially Ebola free but warned that it remained vulnerable as long as the virus was raging elsewhere in west Africa...
Do Ugandan tycoons prepare their children to take over their business empires?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter