today's Pick
Fire razes houses in Kisenyi
Publish Date: May 06, 2014
Fire razes houses in Kisenyi
Residents sift through what was left of their belongings
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Andante Okanya & Darious Magara

About 70 families in Kasato zone, in the city suburb of Kisenyi have been left homeless after an afternoon fire gutted their wood and tin shacks.

The fire that started at about 2:30pm, was extinguished after 30 minutes by Uganda Police Fire Brigade. But it had already destroyed their household property.


  PHOTOGRAPHY/Ronnie Kijjambu

Residents sift through the rubble after fire razed their homes.

According to the Mengo Kisenyi II local council one chairperson Sunday Nkoyoyo, the area is economically conducive for the low income earners.

Farida Nabukeera,23, said she had lost sh200,000 which she had been saving to enable her pay for better accommodation elsewhere.
 

Residents from neighbouring areas rescue property following the afternoon inferno

“I now have nothing, and I have lost everthing I possessed my lifeline but now it is gone,” she lamented amidst sobs.

Over 70 families have been left homeless. Residents can be seen sifting through the rubble

Most of the houses were made of wood and tin-roofed

She claimed the fire was started by someone who was smoking, and accidentally fell on a mattress, which caused it to spread. Other victims claim it was caused by an illegal power connection.
 

The Police fire brigade could not do much as the damage was already done

Residents ponder their next move after fire left them homeless

Kisenyi councillor Salim Uhuru, regretted the incident and said that leaders had plans to officials to improve the living conditions of Kisenyi dwellers. Police is yet to ascertain the cause of the inferno

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Spacecraft docks at ISS for year-long mission
A Russian Soyuz spacecraft with three crew on board has successfully docked at the International Space Station....
No cause for alarm - Gen Kayihura
Inspector General of Police (IGP), Gen. Kale Kayihura has called for calm following reports of a planned terrorist attack on Kampala....
The UN Security Council on Thursday voted to cut 2,000 troops from the UN peacekeeping force in the Democratic Republic of Congo despite calls from Kinshasa for a bigger drawdown....
DRC pygmies demand end to discrimination
Since colonial times, Pygmies have cohabited uneasily with majority Bantus, who are accused of exploiting the Pygmies....
Apple chief Cook to give his wealth away
Apple chief Tim Cook is joining technology titans who have vowed to donate their wealth to charities....
Civil servant sacked over fake funeral claims
A civil servant who made up deaths, and even claimed he was going to the same person's funeral twice, has been sacked in Japan....
Will the ban of food vendors help eliminate typhoid?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter