National
Brig. Ondoga undergoes operation
Publish Date: May 05, 2014
Brig. Ondoga undergoes operation
Brig. Ondoga has been denied bail three times since he was charged last October before the General Court Martial.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Pascal Kwesiga

BRIG. Michael Ondoga, the former commander of the Ugandan troop contingent in Somalia, is currently undergoing an operation at Bombo Military Hospital, the army has said.

Ondoga, who has been denied bail three times since he was charged last October before the General Court Martial, was moved from Makindye military police cells on Wednesday to Bombo Hospital in Luweero district.

But the military police spokesperson, Capt. Geoffrey Burushana denied media reports that Ondoga collapsed in the cells where he has been detained for seven months.

“We decided to take him to Bombo for further management but he was not doing so badly and his condition is still stable,” he added.

Burushana explained that Ondoga has “a boil” in the urinary system that has necessitated a surgical procedure.

Ondoga was denied bail for the third time last week after the state said his health condition could still be managed at the military police hospital in Makindye. 

Court chaired by Brig. Moses Ssentongo was slated to consider his bail application for another time on Monday, but it was not convened because one of the members lost a relative.

He has been asking for bail to enable him receive special treatment outside the military facility.

Ondoga is battling charges of failure to brief his bosses, lying about the position of the enemy and failure to discharge his duties as commander of the Ugandan army contingent in Somalia between 2012 and 2013.

Uganda is among African countries with peacekeepers in Somalia under the African Union mission in Somalia.

Related stories

Court Martial grants Brig. Ondoga bail

Brigadier Ondoga’s trial flops over quoram

No open court trial for Brig. Ondoga

Brig. Ondoga's lawyer forced to retract statements

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
First Lady Janet tips on Internet use
The First Lady and Minister for Karamoja Affairs Janet Museveni asks UCC to launch a national awareness campaign on cyber security to educate children and parents on child online protection....
Museveni gives sh30m to Kikosi Maalum veterans
The Kikosi Maalum veterans, are a special group of ex-servicemen who participated in the fight that led to the overthrow of Idi Amin government....
Tough times as drought hits Kasese farmers
Pastoralists in Kasese district are crying foul after the area was hit by a severe drought, which has left pasture and seasonal rivers dry....
MP Tinkasiimire gets back bride price
The father of Lynn Mbabazi who was married to Buyaga West MP Barnabas Tinkasiimire, has returned the bride price to the legislator’s family after a collapsed marriage....
Police arrests five over Kampala bank robbery
Police in Kampala have arrested five people in connection with the robbery of a bank, one month after a countrywide hunt by the Police Flying Squad....
Gov’t needs sh2.2trillion for HIV/Aids control by 2016
Government needs about sh2.2trillion for HIV/Aids response by the year 2016, money that is required to procure antiretroviral (ARV) drugs, HIV test kits and other related supplies....
Do you agree with the ban on the export of maids?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter