World
Syria jihadists seize Daraa rebel leader: monitor
Publish Date: May 04, 2014
Syria jihadists seize Daraa rebel leader: monitor
Civilians and emergency personnel inspect the site following a car bomb explosion in the Abbasiyah neighbourhood of Syrias central city of Homs. AFP PHOTO
  • mail
  • img
newvision

BEIRUT - Al-Nusra Front, the Al-Qaeda franchise in Syria, has seized a moderate rebel commander in the southern province of Daraa, a monitoring group said on Sunday.

"Al-Nusra Front last night arrested the head of the Military Council of Daraa, Captain Ahmad Naameh, along with five other commanders of opposition factions," said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Activists also reported his capture, which took place amid significant rebel advances in the province, where Al-Nusra Front has only a limited presence.

Naameh had travelled from Jordan to Daraa last week to help unite rebels fighting to topple President Bashar al-Assad's regime, excluding those of the jihadist Al-Nusra.

In a video recorded this week, distributed by the Observatory, Naameh said: "Who is going to rule Syria? Not the extremists... who behead people... No, it will be the Free Syrian Army, which is well organised, and which believes in democracy, democratic rule, and the civil state."

The Observatory's Rami Abdel Rahman told AFP he was likely to have been detained because of the statement.

But some activists in Daraa have accused Naameh of being power-hungry.

Some two months ago, rebels fighting to topple Assad established the so-called Southern Front, which includes some 30,000 fighters from more than 55 mainstream opposition groups operating from the Jordanian border to the outskirts of Damascus and the Golan Heights.

The new alliance is in part aimed at alleviating Western concerns that providing greater aid to the fractious rebels would bolster Al-Qaeda groups and see heavy weapons fall into the hands of extremists.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
S.Africa vows crackdown against xenophobic attacks
SOUTH Africa on Sunday vowed to hunt down those behind a wave of attacks targeting immigrants, saying 307 people had been arrested over violence that has left at least seven people dead...
700 feared dead in migrant shipwreck
SEVEN hundred people are feared dead after a fishing boat packed with migrants trying to reach Europe capsized off Libya...
Zuma urges foreigners to stay amid violence
PRESIDENT Jacob Zuma pleaded with foreigners to stay in South Africa as he cancelled a state visit to Indonesia to deal with a wave of deadly xenophobic violence...
South Africa attacks spark anger abroad
COUNTRIES neighbouring South Africa prepared to evacuate their citizens from South Africa as the UN raised the alarm over deadly xenophobic attacks...
Ebola-hit countries call for $8 bn aid plan
THE three West African countries hit hardest by the Ebola epidemic called for an $8 billion "Marshall Plan" to help rebuild their economies and boost prevention efforts...
UN envoys hear graphic accounts of Syria chemical attacks
The UN Security Council on Thursday heard graphic first-hand accounts from Syrian doctors of deadly chemical weapons attacks in their country, vowing it will take action against those responsible....
Should African countries expel South Africans?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter