Sport
IOC blasts Brazil Olympic 2016 preparations as worst everPublish Date: Apr 30, 2014
IOC blasts Brazil Olympic 2016 preparations as worst ever
  • mail
  • img
With time running out so fast, many facilities in Rio have yet to be completed. PHOTO/AFP
newvision

SYDNEY - International Olympic Committee vice-president John Coates on Tuesday piled pressure on 2016 host Rio de Janeiro, blasting its preparations as the worst he has ever seen.

The Australian, who has made six visits to Rio as a member of the IOC Coordination Commission overseeing the Games, painted a dire picture of the progress being made, which he said was of "critical concern".

He told an Olympic Forum in Sydney that the IOC had been forced to take "unprecedented" action, embedding experts in Rio's Organising Committee to ensure the sporting spectacle proceeds.

"The IOC has formed a special task force to try and speed up preparations but the situation is critical on the ground," he said, adding it was "the worst I have experienced".

"The IOC has adopted a more hands-on role, it is unprecedented for the IOC but there is no Plan B. We are going to Rio."

With the clock rapidly ticking before the first Olympics in South America, many facilities in Rio have yet to be completed because of construction delays and soaring costs.

Earlier this month the IOC drew up a list of urgent recommendations aimed at breathing life into the flagging preparations.

These include the creation of three task forces with a number of aims including easing the fears of an increasingly angry population who have protested at the costs of both the Olympics and the 2014 World Cup, which is also in Brazil.

Furthermore, international sports federations will send teams of experts to work alongside local organisers in a model of co-operation which was used in the build-up to the Sochi Winter Olympics.

"I think this is a worse situation than Athens (in 2004)," said Coates, who has been involved in the Olympics for nearly 40 years.

"In Athens, we were dealing with one government and some city responsibilities. Here, there's three.

"There is little co-ordination between the federal, the state government and the city -- which is responsible for a lot of the construction," he added.

"And this is against a city that's got social issues that also have to be addressed; a country that's also trying to deal with the FIFA World Cup coming up in a few months.

"It's the worst that I've experienced."

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Glasgow 2014: Kipsiro may pullout of 10000m race
Serving in war torn Somalia ‘s peace keeping mission is considered as one of the riskiest ventures.UPDF sergeant Mike Sekabembe is one of those lucky fighters who have managed to come out of the troubled Horn of Africa alive....
Uganda gets another boxing medal
Despite not having any qualified coach, Uganda boxers continued to shine with Juma Kaggwa assuring the nation of another medal after he advanced to the semi-finals at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow Scotland....
KCCA to open season against URA FC
KCCA FC’s FUFA Super League season kick-off will depend on the club’s performance at the CECAFA Kagame Cup in Kigali, Rwanda between August 8 and 24....
Ronald Musagala cruises to 800m final
Ronald Musagala kept his calm despite finishing second to advance to the finals of the Commonwealth Games men’s 800m race on Wednesday night. The final is due on Thursday night at Hampden Stadium in Glasgow, Scotland....
Boxer Nasir Bashir goes down in Glasgow
Uganda’s hopes for a boxing medal were quashed after boxer Nasir Bashir failed in his quarterfinal campaign against Ireland’s Michael Conlan on points....
Motorcross: Maxime ready to battle Kenyans
Maxime Van Pee has vowed to single handedly battle the Kenyan MX1 team even if Uganda fails to send a team to the FIM-Africa Central Africa Motocross Championship on Sunday at the Jamhuri Park in Nairobi....
Should private schools and institutions be given tax exemption?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter