National
48-hour strike begins on London Underground
Publish Date: Apr 29, 2014
48-hour strike begins on London Underground
A file photo of an underground train station.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

LONDON- Workers on London's Underground train system began a 48-hour strike at midnight, threatening chaos for commuters and hitting football supporters attending Arsenal's match with Newcastle.
 
The action was called by the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) in protest at plans to close all ticket offices on the "Tube" system, which they say will jeopardise hundreds of jobs and safety standards.
 
The strike, called after talks between union bosses and London Underground broke down earlier in the day, will cost the British capital millions of pounds.
 
Boards were erected outside stations offering advice to fans trying to get home from the Emirates Stadium after Arsenal hosted Newcastle in the Premier League. Arsenal won 3-0.
 
But the most severe disruption is expected during Tuesday and Wednesday's rush hours.
 
London mayor Boris Johnson called the action, the first since the death of firebrand RMT chief Bob Crow in March, "pointless and mad".
 
RMT acting general secretary Mick Cash explained: "London Underground have dug themselves into an entrenched position and have refused to move one inch from their stance of closing every ticket office.
 
"Despite the spin from LU nothing that they are proposing is about 'modernisation'. The current plans, closing every ticket office and axing nearly a thousand safety-critical jobs, is solely about massive austerity cuts driven centrally by David Cameron and his government and implemented by Mayor Boris Johnson."
 
There will be a limited service on most underground lines during the strike but no trains running on the central London sections of the busy Central and Piccadilly lines and no service at all on the Waterloo and City line.
 
A further three-day strike is planned from 9pm next Monday.
 
London's Underground system, the oldest in the world, carries around three million passengers daily.
 
AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
14 killed in DR Congo machete attack
THE incursion by the Ugandan rebel group ADF took place overnight in the town of Kampi ya Chui....
Businessman sues UNRA over Entebbe Expressway
A businessman has dragged UNRA to court seeking sh5b in damages for loss of business and the inconvenience over the construction of the Entebbe Expressway....
US Commander of Africa Forces visits
President Yoweri Museveni has said that the main challenge in Somalia today was clan-related issues. The President made the remarks at State House Entebbe in a meeting with the United States of America Commander of Africa Forces, General David Rodriguez....
Museveni hails Uganda-North Korea ties
President Yoweri Museveni describes the North Koreans as friends who have helped Uganda for a long time on visit of one of its leaders....
Slain Unilever boss mourned
Speaker after speaker described Makanga as a smart, classy, humble, respectful, joyful, hardworking man at his funeral in Kampala....
Muntu warns Mafabi, Nabila over media exchanges
ACCORDING to John Kikonyogo, the party spokesperson, Muntu said discussing the issues in the media was affecting the image of the party...
Should the absence of bride price prevent couples from wedding?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter