today's Pick
Nigerian court halts probe of oil minister's spending
Publish Date: Apr 29, 2014
Nigerian court halts probe of oil minister's spending
Oil minister Diezani Alison-Madueke is said to have spent 10 billion naira ($62 million) on a private plane. PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

ABUJA - A Nigerian court has halted a parliamentary investigation into allegations the country's oil minister spent $62 million on a private jet, a court document made public on Monday showed.

Nigeria's lower house last month mandated its public accounts committee to investigate Diezani Alison-Madueke's alleged reckless spending of 10 billion naira ($62 million) on a private plane.

But the minister and the state oil firm Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) challenged its power to carry out such an investigation.

The Federal High Court issued a temporary halt order after parliament summoned the minister to appear before it to answer charges over the allegation, said the document, sent to AFP by the NNPC.

The order prevents parliament or any of its committees or officers from compelling the minister to give evidence in connection with the allegation.

Nigeria is Africa's largest producer if crude oil, but its massive energy revenues have largely been squandered through decades of corruption.

Alison-Madueke has been in office since 2010 and is considered one of President Goodluck Jonathan's most powerful and influential cabinet ministers.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
In pictures:Bukedde celebrates 21 years
Bukedde marked 21 years since its maiden publication on August 29, 1994....
South Sudan''s former vice president Riek Machar ordered his rebel troops to lay down their arms in line with a ceasefire to end a 20-month civil war, his spokesman said Saturday....
A man accused of getting money by false pretense and posing as a female prostitute has been remanded to Luzira prisons....
Sudan''s security forces have arrested at least 17 opposition activists this month, Human Rights Watch said Friday, as President Omar al-Bashir urges opponents to join talks to solve Sudan''s myriad problems....
Life expectancy rises, but people live sicker for longer
People around the world are living longer, but many are also living sicker lives for longer, according to a study of all major diseases and injuries in 188 countries....
US journalist killer
The disgruntled former US television station employee who murdered two journalists had "annoyed" colleagues but showed no signs at work of any mental health issues, his former boss said...
Do you support KCCA'S move to ban campaign posters from the city?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter