National
South Sudan peace talks resume
Publish Date: Apr 29, 2014
South Sudan peace talks resume
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay (Center-right) and Special Advisor for the Prevention of Genocide, Adama Dieng (Center-left), attending a meeting with South Sudan government officials, in Juba on Monday. CREDIT/AFP (Source: UNHCHR)
  • mail
  • img
newvision

ADDIS ABABA - Peace talks between South Sudan's government and rebels aimed at ending a four-month-old civil war resumed in the Ethiopian capital on Monday, amid mounting global outrage over a wave of atrocities.

The long-awaited resumption of the talks, which have been on hold for several weeks against a backdrop of heavy fighting, came as top UN human rights officials arrived in the country to probe massacres and other war crimes.

"The South Sudan peace talks that focus on a political dialogue for national reconciliation and healing resumed in Addis Ababa today following the arrival of all parties," a statement from the IGAD regional bloc said.

It added that both sides "shared concern over the recent escalation of the conflict and expressed their renewed commitment to the mediation process."

The stop-start talks began shortly after the conflict broke out on December 15 between supporters of President Salva Kiir and ex-vice president Riek Machar. A ceasefire was signed in late January but was quickly violated.

With the UN Security Council last week threatening sanctions against leaders on both sides, it is hoped the new round of talks will have more success in ending the conflict in the world's youngest nation, which won independence from Khartoum in 2011 but has collapsed into all-out war and, according to aid workers, is on the brink of famine.

The war has left thousands and possibly tens of thousands of people dead, and forced over one million to flee their homes. More than 78,000 civilians are currently crammed into eight UN bases in the country, while thousands have fled to neighbouring states, mainly Uganda and Ethiopia.

The capital Juba was also hosting a visit by the UN's High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, and special envoy for the prevention of genocide, Adama Dieng.

The two are expected to remain in the country until Wednesday and hold meetings with Kiir. They are due to tour massacre sites "if security conditions allow", UN Mission in South Sudan spokesman Joe Contreras said.

'Horrific brutality'

Earlier this month, the rebels were blamed for the killings of hundreds of people in the oil hub of Bentiu, and a pro-government mob killed dozens of civilians in an attack on a UN base in Bor.

More details on the Bentiu atrocities emerged on Monday, with the international aid agency Doctors Without Borders (known by its French acronym MSF) releasing fresh eyewitness testimony of the carnage.

"What I saw in Bentiu -- bodies of civilians strewn through the streets in grisly states of damage and decay, being eaten by dogs and birds -- was an affront to humanity," said Raphael Gorgeu, MSF's head of mission in the country.

"The violence in South Sudan has taken a particularly ugly turn, stripping people of their most basic human dignity. It is a terrible thing to witness."

Christopher Lockyear, MSF's operations manager for South Sudan, said staff had "heard tales of horrific brutality taking place on the hospital grounds" in Bentiu, and had credible information of up to 33 people killed in Bentiu State Hospital when the town fell to rebels.

"People who fled to the hospital in search of safety were selectively targeted based on their identities and loyalties. Once again in South Sudan, we see hospitals -- places that should be protected safe havens -- are increasingly places of attack and cruelty," he said.

Last week the UN Security Council raised the threat of sanctions against both sides in the conflict who have been implicated in atrocities and war crimes including massacres, rapes, attacks on UN bases sheltering civilians from ethnic violence and the recruitment of child soldiers.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Slain Unilever boss mourned
SPEAKER after speaker described Makanga as a smart, classy, humble, respectful, joyful, hardworking man who worked to see that also others get to enjoy the good life...
Muntu warns Mafabi, Nabila over media exchanges
ACCORDING to John Kikonyogo, the party spokesperson, Muntu said discussing the issues in the media was affecting the image of the party...
Gov
ACCORDING to Hillary Onek, the Minister of Relief and Disaster Preparedness, the move will enable legal refugees to seek study, business and medical opportunities abroad...
Deputy President Ramaphosa lands in Entebbe for talks with President Museveni
Deputy President Ramaphosa lands in Entebbe ahead of consultations with President Yoweri Museveni over South Sudan...
Uganda grapples with access to drugs for Non Communicable Diseases
Moses Kafeero, 24, is a resident of Kasensero in Rakai district. He weighs 112 kilograms.Kafero is one of the thousands of Ugandans suffering from Non Communicable diseases. Kafeero just like others is not aware that one of the risk factors associated with high blood pressure and diabetes is obesit...
The President of the General Assembly, Sam Kutesa, has mourned the fallen Zambian President Chilufya Sata....
Should the absence of bride price prevent couples from wedding?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter