World
Egypt court sentences 683 Islamists to death
Publish Date: Apr 28, 2014
Egypt court sentences 683 Islamists to death
Court on Monday sentenced to death 683 alleged Islamists. Here, Mohamed Damaty, member of the team of Egyptian lawyers defending 42 supporters of deposed president Mohamed Morsi, talks to journalists outside the courthouse following a hearing in his clients trial on Sunday. PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

MINYA - An Egyptian court sentenced Muslim Brotherhood leader Mohamed Badie and 682 other alleged Islamists to death Monday, a lawyer and prosecutor said, after two brief sessions the defence partly boycotted.

The same court also reversed 492 of 529 death sentences it passed in March, commuting most of those to life in prison.

The court presided over by judge Said Youssef Sabry had sparked an international outcry with its initial sentencing last month, which came amid an extensive crackdown on supporters of ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi.

Under Egyptian law, death sentences are referred to the top Islamic scholar for an advisory opinion before being ratified. A court may choose to commute the sentences, which can later be challenged at an appeals court.

Of the 683 sentenced on Monday, only about 50 are in detention. The judge will confirm the verdict on June 21. The others have a right to a retrial if they hand themselves in.

The verdict was the first against Badie, the spiritual head of Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood, in the several trials he faces on various charges along with Morsi himself and other Brotherhood leaders.

Some female relatives waiting outside the courtroom in the southern province of Minya fainted on hearing news of the verdict.

"Where is the justice?" others chanted.

Several said family members had been unjustly convicted or put on trial.

"My son does not even pray, he does not even know where the mosque is," said one woman, whose son was among the 529 sentenced to death in March.

Those sentenced on Monday were accused of involvement in the murder and attempted murder of policemen in Minya province on August 14, the day police killed hundreds of ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi's supporters in clashes in Cairo.

'Breach of international law'

Defence lawyers boycotted the last session, branding it "farcical" after the mass death sentencing which the United Nations denounced as a breach of international human rights law.

Defence lawyer Khaled Elkomy claims that 60 percent of the 529 defendants, including teachers and some doctors, have evidence that "proves they were not present the day they were accused of attacking the Matay police station" in Minya, a statement released by human rights group Avaaz said.

The government has defended the court's handling of the first mass case, insisting that the sentences were passed only "after careful study" and were subject to appeal.

Prosecutor Abdel Rahim Abdel Malek defended the charges against the 529.

"We have strong evidence that incriminates all those sentenced to death," he told AFP.

"We have videos, witness accounts... documents that prove that the Muslim Brotherhood had called on its supporters to attack police stations and public and private property in case the sit-in at Rabaa al-Adawiya (in Cairo) was broken up, and that's what happened," he said.

Last month's death sentences sent a chill through opponents of the military-installed regime, which has held mass trials of thousands of alleged Islamists since Morsi's ouster.

At least 1,000 people have been sentenced since December, all in groups of 10 or more. Jail terms passed range from six months to life, as well as the death penalty.

Amnesty International says that more than 1,400 people have been killed in the police crackdown since the army overthrew Morsi, Egypt's first elected and civilian leader.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Obama: Sony hack was not
North Korea''s alleged hack of Sony Pictures was not an act of war, President Barack Obama said in an interview aired Sunday....
Obama: Russia
President Barack Obama hits back at foreign policy critics, brushing off claims he had been naively outmaneuvered by Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin...
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu on Sunday accused the European Union of starting a "dirty campaign" against Turkey by criticising the arrests of opponents of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan....
Rival Libya govt urges foreigners to return to Tripoli
Libya's Islamist-backed rival government called Sunday for diplomats and foreign firms to return to Tripoli, pledging to protect them despite an attack on the empty home of the Swiss ambassador....
Pakistan hangs four more militants after school attack
Pakistan on Sunday executed four more militants after ending a six-year moratorium on the death penalty following a Taliban school attack that killed 149 people...
US considers putting North Korea on terror list
The United States is mulling whether or not to place North Korea back onto its list of state sponsors of terrorism, President Barack Obama said Sunday....
Do you agree with the ban on the export of maids?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter