World
US welcomes S. Sudan release of 'rebellion' leaders
Publish Date: Apr 28, 2014
US welcomes S. Sudan release of 'rebellion' leaders
US Secretary of State John Kerry
  • mail
  • img
newvision

WASHINGTON - US Secretary of State John Kerry told South Sudanese President Salva Kiir on Saturday that he welcomed the release of four South Sudan leaders accused of rebellion and treason.

The top US diplomat expressed "grave concern" about the ongoing conflict in the world's youngest nation, where a four-month civil war between Kiir's government and rebels loyal to sacked vice president Riek Machar has left thousands of people dead, over a million displaced and prompted UN warnings of the risk of famine.

During a phone call, Kerry pointed to "recent violence in Bentiu and Bor and the deliberate targeting of civilians by armed groups on both sides of the conflict," spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement.

But he "welcomed the government of South Sudan's decision to release the four senior political officials who had been in detention since December."

On Friday, the four leaders were released and charges of attempting to overthrow the government were dropped, in a move aimed at easing tensions.

Their detention had been a major sticking point in peace talks, and the gesture comes as the leaders on both sides of the conflict face the threat of UN sanctions amid worsening violence and atrocities.

Kerry "urged President Kiir to stop military offensives and to adhere to the Cessation of Hostilities agreement," the statement said, noting Washington has made the same demands of anti-government forces.

"Both Secretary Kerry and President Kiir expressed their support for the... peace process."

The court order said the men were released "in order to promote peace and reconciliation among our people," while Kiir called on people to respect those released.

"This is the only way of getting out" of war, he said in a speech. "Let's all work together."

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Ebola death toll climbs to 2,461
THE deadliest Ebola epidemic on record has now infected nearly 5,000 people in west Africa and killed around half of them, the World Health Organization has revealed...
1976 Entebbe raid: Ex-intelligence chief dies
Yitzhak Hofi, who played a key role in a 1976 Entebbe operation to free the passengers of a hijacked plane, has died at 87....
Murderer
Belgium, one of only a few countries to allow euthanasia, has accepted a serial rapist''s request that he be allowed to die....
Signs of N. Korea developing missile submarine
North Korea appears to be developing a new weapons system capable of launching submarine-based ballistic missiles, the South's defence ministry said Monday....
Death toll now 40 in Nigeria building collapse: rescuers
Forty people have now died as a result of a building collapse at the megachurch of one of Nigeria's most famous preachers and televangelists, the country's main rescue body said on Sunday....
Kerry drums up support for US
US Secretary of State John Kerry heads to Cairo on Saturday, amid a growing campaign to build a broad international coalition for a "war" against Islamic State extremists in Syria and Iraq....
Will early retirement solve Uganda’s unemployment problem?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter