World
Undersea search for MH370 to expand: Australia
Publish Date: Apr 28, 2014
Undersea search for MH370 to expand: Australia
A handout photo taken on April 17, 2014, and released by Australian Defence on April 24, 2014 shows the Phoenix Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) Artemis being recovered onto Australian Defence Vessel Ocean Shield after completing a mission in the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 in the southern Indian Ocean. AFP PHOTO
  • mail
  • img
newvision

SYDNEY - Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott on Monday admitted it was "highly unlikely" that any surface wreckage will be found from Flight MH370 as he announced a more intensive underwater search.

Australia is coordinating the hunt for the missing Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 which disappeared on March 8 carrying 239 people and is believed to have crashed into the southern Indian Ocean.

Aircraft and ships have been scanning the surface of vast tracts of remote ocean off the western Australian coast for more than 40 days with no signs of wreckage from the plane.

"I am now required to say to you that it is highly unlikely at this stage that we will find any aircraft debris on the ocean surface," Abbott told reporters in Canberra.

"By this stage, 52 days into the search, most material would have become water logged and sunk," he added.

"With the distances involved, all of the aircraft are operating at close to the limit of sensible and safe operation."

Abbott said the search would now enter a new phase that would involve undersea efforts being ramped up, with authorities searching the ocean floor over a much larger area.

"Essentially though what we are looking to do is conduct as thorough an undersea search as is humanly possible," Abbott said.

"If necessary, of the entire probable impact zone which is roughly 700 kilometres by 80 kilometres."

The search area for MH370 has been defined by analysis of satellite data, and was boosted by several detections of transmissions believed to have come from the plane's black box recorders before their batteries died.

A submersible Bluefin-21 scouring a 400 square kilometre zone centred around one of these transmissions has so far failed to yield any results despite searching almost the entire area.

Abbott said the Bluefin-21 would continue its hunt, while Australia in consultation with the Malaysia government was willing to engage one or more commercial companies to undertake the extra work.

"While the search will be moving to a new phase in coming weeks, it certainly is not ending," the prime minister said.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Arab coalition bombs Yemen rebels for fifth night
Arab coalition warplanes carried out a fifth straight night of air strikes against Shiite rebels near the Yemeni capital and elsewhere in the violence-wracked country, residents said on Monday....
Last minutes of ill-fated Germanwings flight
The ill-fated Germanwings flight started like any other, with the conversation in the cockpit normal....
Air Canada plane crash lands at airport
Twenty-three people were injured when an Air Canada jet struck an antenna and crash landed as it attempted to touch down....
Iran nuclear talks race towards deadline
Global powers are due to gather with Iran Monday, seeking to slot into place the last pieces of a complex puzzle to curtail Tehran''s nuclear programme....
Food poisoning sickens over 600 villagers
More than 600 Cambodian villagers, mostly school children, fell ill after eating contaminated food provided to a school during an anti-child labour event....
UN staff flee war-torn Yemen, Russia voices concern
The United Nations evacuated staff from war-torn Yemen as Russia warned Saudi-led air strikes on Iranian-backed rebels were affecting crunch nuclear talks between world powers and Tehran....
Should police arrest parents who do not take their children to school?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter